New Book: "Caves of Fall Creek Falls"

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

New Book: "Caves of Fall Creek Falls"

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Oct 5, 2016 8:13 pm

The NSS is publishing a new book, "Caves of Fall Creek Falls", written by me (Larry E. Matthews). It covers the incredibly cave-rich area of Fall Creek Falls State Park and the adjacent public lands just to the north known as Scotts Gulf and Lost Creek. The book will be 322 + iv pages long, with ALL color photographs, and will be Hardbound. The Retail Price will be $25 and the Member Price will be $22.50.

Here is what the Back Cover has to say:

"The greater Fall Creek Falls area has the largest number of caves of any public land in Tennessee. The many large, interesting caves, combined with the stunning wilderness area makes this a Caver's Paradise. The roughly 15 miles wide by 16 miles long area covered in this book contains 1,184 known caves, 12 of which are over a mile long.

Modern cave explorers have been unraveling the secrets of these caves since the early 1950s. Exploration, mapping, and dye tracing show two huge underground drainage systems: one in the valley of the Caney Fork River and the other in the valley of Cane Creek. This book describes those caves and their hydrological connections.

This book is not only about these caves, but also the cavers who explored them. There are tales of secrecy and mistrust as rival groups of cavers sought to hide their discoveries from others. There is also the story of the development of land adjacent to Fall Creek Falls State Park by greedy and unscrupulous developers who threatened to ruin the groundwater.

Come along for thrilling tales of exploration and adventure."

This book is already at the printers and should be available from the NSS Bookstore in 3 to 4 weeks.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: New Book: "Caves of Fall Creek Falls"

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Oct 5, 2016 8:59 pm

Here is what the covers of the book will look like. The Front Cover is a photo of the main passage in Virgin Falls Cave and the Back Cover is a photo of the entrance to Big Laurel Creek Cave. Both photos were taken by Bob Biddix.

Larry

Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

"Caves of Fall Creek Falls"

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Nov 12, 2016 10:29 am

There has been a delay in the printing of the book. And, now that it is closer to Christmas, shipping from China (where the book is being printed) is slower, too.

So, instead of being available in early November, as we had hoped, it may now be early December before this book is available. Check the NSS Bookstore site to find our when it is available.

Larry
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Where Is: "Caves of Fall Creek Falls" ???

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Dec 3, 2016 12:19 pm

By now, some of you are wondering WHERE is the new "Caves of Fall Creek Falls" book ??? Well, there is good news and bad news.

The good news: The book has been printed.

The bad news: It is sitting in China awaiting shipment.

What happened? The NSS was printing a second book and there was some type of screw-up with that book. The plan was to ship both books together, so my book is sitting there waiting for the problem with the second book to be resolved.

I got my December NSS News yesterday with a nice ad on page 2 for the "Caves of Fall Creek Falls" book, but there are no books there to fill the orders. I am guessing, optimistically, that it will be at least another 2 or 3 weeks before the Bookstore actually gets the books.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: New Book: "Caves of Fall Creek Falls"

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jan 26, 2017 10:50 pm

The "Caves of Fall Creek Falls" book is now available from the NSS Bookstore. I got my first copy Monday, and the printing job is excellent. The sewn-through binding is great, and the book opens and lays flat the first time you open it.

Lots of great stories of adventure by several generations of cavers and photographs from twenty (20) photographers. No telling how many people it took to produce all these maps !!!

If you have been to these caves, you will enjoy reading about their history and if you haven't been to them.................the photos and stories will make you want to go.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Publications