Resting while using Mitchell system

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby danwern » Jul 21, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm looking for suggestions about the best way to rest while using the Mitchell system. I've bent my knees and let the rollers sit on the lower ascender, but that feels sketchy. I know some people climb using Mitchell with a croll attached to the harness and a separate chest harness a la frogger (but the rope doesn't run through the croll while ascending; only when resting or if needed for a crossover, etc.). That adds weight, bulk, and rigging time, and I'd also be concerned about the rope or upper ascender cord rubbing against the croll while ascending. It's also not particularly flexible for crossovers, etc.

So, any suggestions? I'm a recovering top-heavy frogger and a Mitchell newcomer. I love the Mitchell system, but it'd be nice to take a break now and then while climbing.

Bonus points if you use a photo or diagram to illustrate your solution!

Thanks.

Dan
danwern
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 38053
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: Resting while using Mitchell system

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 22, 2016 6:42 am

Do you have a QAS? You should. It can ride above the chest roller and allow to sit on it when resting.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Bob Thrun » Jul 22, 2016 2:25 pm

I use Mitchell and have never had difficulty resting. I find it hard to remember the details of how I rest. Do you have a safety sling running from your upper ascender to your seat sling? I just sit down and put my weight on my upper ascender.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tlaloc » Jul 23, 2016 9:13 pm

You should have a cord from both ascenders to your seat harness as well as to your feet. These prevent turning upside down when your box is not attached and you can rest by just sitting back down.
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tim White » Jul 25, 2016 8:50 am

Typically one only has a safety tether from the lower knee ascender to seat harness with a floating attachment above the chest box.

To rest, as others have said, just sit down on to you upper floating attachment.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Tlaloc » Jul 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Tim, we're discussing the Mitchel system, which has no knee ascender or floating attachment.
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Having that QAS as suggested is right on the money. And, I've witnessed many times through the years that top-heavy guys just have to get use to doing their thing, so practice, practice. You'll overcome the hiccups, but you definitely can rest!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tim White » Aug 1, 2016 7:26 am

Tlaloc wrote:Tim, we're discussing the Mitchel system, which has no knee ascender or floating attachment.

Tlaloc,
Sorry for the confusion, but I fully well know what you are talking about. I was referring to the lower ascender, which rides just above the knee. Call it lower if you like.

And yes, the historical Mitchell System did not have a floating attachment, but decades ago Bill Cuddington added a floating safety above the chest box.
Otherwise cavers who wanted to be safe followed Bill's lead.

It we want to talk about the Mitchell System is its original form, it did not event use a seat harness!
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby fireman1904 » Aug 13, 2016 5:23 pm

I wear my frog system Croll and run the rope through it below by chest harness. It picks up very little friction and you can stop anytime you want and rest by just sitting down. I only used my mitchell for one trip down to TAG and after that I changed over to using the mitchell with the Croll. I would never go back at this point. Plus it gives you an extra safety attachment point, which the mitchell system lacks anyway. If you would like a picture of my system let me know. I can get you one. It works great.
Mike Woolard
NSS# 49891
HCG, ICS, ISS, SCCi, Chattanooga Grotto
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

Return to On Rope!