An article on the recent convention in Nevada

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 25, 2016 3:02 pm

This is an article from the Las Vegas newspaper on the recent convention, in Ely, which was about 270 miles north of Vegas. A few nice pictures of Lehman Cave, but the real goody if I can find it is the article last Thursday from the local newspaper with the headlines, something like "Thousands of cavers descend on Ely." It was a fun article, based on what was happening and a good description of Vance Nelson, who was probably the oldest caver there that week. Side note is that Vance was the son-in-law of Bill Stephenson who started up the NSS back in 1941. :kewl:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevad ... evada-town
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: An article on the recent convention in Nevada

Postby caverdan » Jul 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Some conventioneers are pitching tents at the White Pine Golf Course, which closed nine of its 18 holes to accommodate the camping cavers.
They are just a little off on their "holes". :big grin: I believe we had holes 5 and 6 for the grand event. :woohoo:

All in all.....ya'll that didn't make it.......missed a good one in a beautiful area of the USA. :cavechat:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 26, 2016 10:22 pm

:cave softly: Ha Dan, I thought you'd see the word "thousands" in the headline. Believe it was a 1060, but "thousands," I don't think so. Ha! You guys put on the best Howdy Party ever, in Glenwood Springs, so...I'd go back there anytime. Whew hoo!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: An article on the recent convention in Nevada

Postby caverdan » Jul 27, 2016 8:11 am

Good seeing you again Ernie. I heard we had 1087 people show up. I did get a copy of the article and enjoyed it. There are always a couple of hick ups at a convention, but all in all, we had a great time. Leaman Caverns was beautiful and the tour of Timpanogos given by Andy and Bonnie after convention was a big highlight to top it off. We visited the steam train a couple of times. Hotel Nevada was our go to, breakfast stop. It's a great little town in the middle of nowhere. :kewl:

I too would love to return to Glenwood for another convention.......as long as I'm not working it. Wish I could have made it to that howdy party.....but someone had to watch to campground. :sadbanana:

The timing is wrong for us to make it next year. Hopefully we will see you in Montana. :woohoo:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum