Hiya from central Indiana

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby bishopwg » Jul 1, 2016 6:26 pm

Hello. My daughter and I have been caving for about 2 years now. We spend much of our time hitting southern indiana and Kentucky caves. There's a pretty good chance that if you've caved around here that we have encountered each other. We're looking to meet new friends in the community to cave with on a regular basis. We hang out with several members of cig and louisville grotto but are members of neither.
bishopwg
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 2, 2016 6:12 pm

Welcome to CaveChat, Bishop and your daughter. Looks like a great team for exploring together. You didn't say how old she was, so maybe we'll get that info when you write back. You're right in the "Motherlode" of caving, which you probably already know. Hopefully, you'll join the NSS and get in CIG and/or the Louisville Grotto(s). Always good to be with others, especially with an area where you're caving. We've had several conventions back in your neighborhood and have always enjoyed traveling there, although flying today is the pits, what with all the BS that these terrorists are throwing around the world. Different subject, so I'll bow out on that one.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Hiya from central Indiana

Postby CaverScott » Jul 5, 2016 6:59 am

Welcome! I caved for over a decade with the CIG. Great folks! :cavingrocks:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby ohiocaver » Jul 7, 2016 2:47 pm

Join at least one of the grottoes near you.
Why? If you’re religious, you should belong to a church. If you’re a fitness buff, you should belong to a gym. If you’re a caver, you should belong to the NSS.
The dues money others have invested provides the maps you use underground, supports cave conservation, helps train the NCRC rescuers who will give up their weekends (and, perhaps, risk their lives) to respond to your underground accident (whether you paid your dues or not). In fact, your dues support this very forum.
I'd suggest you show up at Cave Capers in August (Harrison County, Ind. Fairgrounds). You'll meet dozens more cavers and have a good time.
Don't be a free-rider. If you can't afford the $10 Grotto dues, I'll pay your first year for you.
End lecture. :cave softly:
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 7, 2016 3:25 pm

Hello bishopwg,
I've been rooting around under southern Indiana a bit over the past few years, but my attention is too divided to cave there often. It seems a good place for new exploration.
With respect for Curt, few of his comments above are very accurate, and you should feel no pressure whatsoever to join the NSS or a grotto. I'm sure you have your own reasons for not doing so (besides the $10). Most importantly, whatever you choose to do or who you choose to cave with, try to learn about the caves and the places above them. Learn about them as intimately as possible with a view to caring for them. There are thousands of NSS cavers who know or care about nothing other than "having fun," and who are spreading the same destruction and ignorance and superficiality that is the hallmark of modern society and modern recreation to fragile places that cannot support them.
Don't be one of them.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Jul 7, 2016 7:55 pm

:bananaguitar:
Last edited by MUD on Sep 19, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby ohiocaver » Jul 11, 2016 2:24 pm

Totally agree that "It is NOT necessary to be a member of the NSS, a grotto, or club to cave." However, since they are using a resource -- in this case CaveChat -- paid for and maintained by members of the NSS, grottoes and caving clubs, I feel it is only right that they should chip in either in cash or in kind. There is no such thing as a free lunch (for long).
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 11, 2016 4:25 pm

Hear, hear Curt! I totally agree with you; and, if we don't support our organization that's been ongoing for 75-years, its going to sink by the by. There are several individuals who think everything is a free ride and that's a part of why our nation is falling apart...at the seams.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 11, 2016 6:50 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote:if we don't support our organization that's been ongoing for 75-years, its going to sink by the by.

Long live gravity.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ohiocaver » Jul 12, 2016 11:11 am

My apologies to Bishop -- this started out as a "welcome back to caving" thread and has migrated to a discussion of members vs. independent cavers. Hey, Bishop: WELCOME BACK. Now you can see how we kill time when we're not underground! :bananabat:
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Curt, I just consider the source. Why bother when the guy just doesn't understand what he's enjoying today, took a lot of individuals and their money, their searching, their new ways of doing things--especially in vertical caving--so why get your shorts twisted worrying something that he'll never understand, it seems. Life is too short! See 'ya at the convention maybe.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Jul 12, 2016 2:08 pm

:devil:
Last edited by MUD on Sep 19, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 12, 2016 11:06 pm

ohiocaver wrote:My apologies to Bishop -- this started out as a "welcome back to caving" thread...

No it didn't...

Maybe you're thinking of this one.

Anyway, I too apologize, Bishop, if I've distracted from anything you wanted to discuss.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bishopwg » Jul 20, 2016 6:16 pm

No worries. We are both NSS member and are at the convention in Ely now. We will be at capers in a few weeks as well. Noone has made an uncomfortable situation and thank you all for the welcome. Can't wait to get back underground.
bishopwg
Infrequent Poster

Postby ohiocaver » Jul 25, 2016 4:09 pm

Drop by the Cleveland Grotto pavilion at Capers (in the far back of the Fairgrounds camping area) and say hello. Or, we'll catch you underground.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Introductions