Mystery Falls, Tn. for sale

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mystery Falls, Tn. for sale

Postby l lambert » Apr 11, 2016 3:49 pm

http://pottsbrothers.com/index.php?ap=1&pid=48342 Property 106 is Mystery Falls. As of today (Mon.11th) the offer is $200,000.00 :yikes:
l lambert
Prolific Poster

Re: Mystery Falls, Tn. for sale

Postby trogman » Apr 12, 2016 12:52 am

Egad!!! I just saw this, I had no idea. Looking at the list of bidders, there were a couple of cavers putting in bids (Wm. Shrewsbury, P. Springer (Patty?)), but that was when it was quite a bit cheaper. Whoever Jim Chapin is, he appears to be very serious about winning, as he jumped the bid from 10K to 200K. I wonder if he will continue to allow access, or maybe he is planning to develop it. I've often wondered why the Ruby Falls people never did that, because to me Mystery is a much nicer and more spectacular cave. I sure hope this is not the end of our access to this fine pit!

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Patrick Wilson » Apr 12, 2016 12:15 pm

The Chapins are the current owners. They are the family that owns Rock City. The father, E.Y. Chapin, died a little over a year ago and his Trust is auctioning it. The family may very well intend to buy it back. Everyone in the caving community that needs to know is well aware, as long with several other land conservancies in the area. We'll see come Thursday evening.
Patrick Wilson
NSS 59279 RE
Patrick Wilson
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 59279RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Postby l lambert » Apr 12, 2016 12:31 pm

"Everyone in the caving community that needs to know is well aware"

Could I possibly get a list of the "caving community" so I can cross reference? :tonguecheek:
l lambert
Prolific Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Apr 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Has this cave been linked to Ruby Falls? I realize it's a short cave, but was the water source for the falls connected?
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby graveleye » Apr 12, 2016 2:16 pm

that information is on a need-to-know basis.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby BrianFrank » Apr 12, 2016 3:59 pm

Kevin :shrug:

Well, you peaked my interest, unless you are joking. Being only 1,367 feet horizontal, I assume every passage has been fully explored. My map doesn't show unsurveyed leads in Mystery except part of the stream and I assume that's because it's a sump? The water was declared unsafe to drink in 1911 (high mineral content) and the water ceased to be an area (St. Elmo) water source at that time. The resurgence used to be Anderson springs which since 1913 has been under the TN river. One death has occurred in Mystery in August of 1959 when someone was being lowered into the pit and the rope broke. After a quick Google search, Ruby Falls resurgence has been die traced to the TN river. What secret am I missing Kevin?
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby l lambert » Apr 12, 2016 5:15 pm

Ruby Falls and Mystery Falls streams most likely come together downstream. Both systems gravitate toward the low point in the synclinal trough. Old trip reports combined with dye trace data would indicate that Lookout mountain cave, Ruby Falls, and Mystery Falls were all one large system. This cave emptied into the Tennessee river via Anderson Spring.
l lambert
Prolific Poster

Postby gindling » Apr 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Is Bynums Cave thought to be a part of this system as well? There are a number of domes in there with water coming from above.
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Postby l lambert » Apr 12, 2016 6:59 pm

The Ruby/Lookout /Mystery cave is a perched complex seeking the center of the syncline. Bynum cave is at and below water table taking advantage of a drag fold in the Cranmore Cove fault at the base of Lookout on the east side. They are essentially two parallel systems discharging into the river. Anderson spring was visible at waters edge before Nickajack impoundment. Bynum's water is discharged as a non visible spring in the floor of the river.
l lambert
Prolific Poster

Postby trogman » Apr 13, 2016 2:49 am

l lambert wrote:The Ruby/Lookout /Mystery cave is a perched complex seeking the center of the syncline. Bynum cave is at and below water table taking advantage of a drag fold in the Cranmore Cove fault at the base of Lookout on the east side. They are essentially two parallel systems discharging into the river. Anderson spring was visible at waters edge before Nickajack impoundment. Bynum's water is discharged as a non visible spring in the floor of the river.

Your post raised a question in my mind- what is a "drag fold?" There is a cave in GA by that name, and I was always curious why it was named that. I am guessing it is some sort of geological feature?

trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby graveleye » Apr 13, 2016 7:36 am

BrianFrank wrote:Kevin :shrug:
What secret am I missing Kevin?

lol I was playing off off something Patrick Wilson said above :big grin:
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby graveleye » Apr 13, 2016 7:46 am

trogman wrote:

Your post raised a question in my mind- what is a "drag fold?" There is a cave in GA by that name, and I was always curious why it was named that. I am guessing it is some sort of geological feature?

If I remember correctly, a drag fold is where the rock bends, or folds, as it is being dragged along a fault. That's probably an oversimplified explanation.
Not sure how it applies to Drag Fold Cave, but it probably has something to do with a fault in the area.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Patrick Wilson » Apr 15, 2016 9:15 pm

l lambert wrote:"Everyone in the caving community that needs to know is well aware"

Could I possibly get a list of the "caving community" so I can cross reference? :tonguecheek:

Hah! What I meant was, those who might want to acquire for a certain conservancy-type-organization that shall go unnamed because I don't speak on their behalf. :wink:

Btw, it sold @ $225k.
Patrick Wilson
NSS 59279 RE
Patrick Wilson
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 59279RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga Grotto

Postby l lambert » Apr 15, 2016 11:07 pm

Hmmm....SCCI :big grin:

Graveleye nailed it. Drag fold is fold occurring from interaction between two sides of a fault moving past each other.
l lambert
Prolific Poster

Next

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum