Report of 1965-66 Karst Hydrology Expedition to Jamaica?

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Report of 1965-66 Karst Hydrology Expedition to Jamaica?

Postby Cath.Archives » Dec 21, 2015 1:05 pm

I’m looking for a copy (paper or electronic) of the KARST HYDROLOGY EXPEDITION TO JAMAICA - 1965/1966 (published in 1966). Full Report is 66p. plus 6 separate sheets of maps. The authors were Mike Boon, Pete Livesey, Trevor Morris, Ray Stoyles (from the UK) and Charlie Brown (from Canada). For some reason I can’t find one anywhere, and the publisher is unknown. If anyone has any leads on the report, I would be grateful for ideas. Alternately, I would be happy to purchase your paper copy or a colour, text-searchable pdf version of your original, if you prefer. Cheers.
Cath.Archives
New Poster

Re: Report of 1965-66 Karst Hydrology Expedition to Jamaica?

Postby driggs » Jan 9, 2016 4:20 pm

Legendary Canadian caver Mike Boon passed away in 2014, but portions of that '65 - '66 Jamaican expedition are documented in his book Down to the Sunless Sea, available online at this tribute website thanks to the Alberta Speleological Society: http://www.caving.ab.ca/boon

The NSS Library shows a copy of the full report on file, which you may be able to access.

Or, you may have luck contacting also-legendary karst hydrogeologist Dr. Derek Ford of McMaster University, who led(?) the expedition. The University's website lists his professor emeritus email address as `dford at mcmaster dot ca`, though I'd recommend checking the NSS Member Manual as well.

Finally it never hurts to contact SpeleoBooks when searching for rare books of this sort.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Return to Publications