New Here- from San Jose, California

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby jessie_kitty » Oct 9, 2015 9:21 am

Hey all, my name is Jessilynn. I am new to the idea of caving. I am not a caver. However I would SO love to be. I can't tell you where I cave, or WHY I cave, because I have not officially been yet. However I can tell you why I want to.
Now, I have been on tours, with guides telling us everything, and where to and where not to step. Guard rails, and all that stuff.

However, there have been 2 tours I can think of where the guide said "And that hole leads to a giant chasm of water." And personally, I would LOVE to and have dreamt about repelling down to view it. I mean what sane person would NOT want to view something like that? To go down beneath the earth, and view a natural wonder of the world. Some people view… I don't know something like the Lighthouse of Alexandra as a wonder of the world. But Me, I could go my whole life without seeing that. To me, a "Wonder of the World" would be seeing what mother earth has created, and exploring it.

I have been interested in the idea of exploring caves, and going on expeditions for many years. Now I just really want to go, like a calling.

I just need the instruction and guidance. So if anyone knows of any place around San Jose, California where I can learn. Or any instructional caver groups… please let me know I AM interested :)
jessie_kitty
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 10, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi Jessilynn,

You live in the San Jose area, so I can provide you information on getting involved with caving grottoes (clubs, if you will). Specifically, what city do you live in...or is it San Jose? And, what caving tours were you on, so I can write back on this, so you'll be able to weigh whether what the tour guide was saying was false or high pitched...or whatever?

You have a grotto that meets in Palo Also at the USGS building, so go on line and bring up San Francisco Bay Chapter and that should give you some info on when, where, and what time to get there. A lot of the SFBC folks are probably down in the desert this weekend, as the Western Regional is going on--this is a meet, held once a year, usually, in various parts of the West, that comprises all of the grottoes in the West.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: New Here- from San Jose, California

Postby jessie_kitty » Oct 11, 2015 12:08 pm

Well I actually live in Santa Clara. I just say San Jose, because I am just use to saying I live there. Ha when Levis Stadium was put up, everyone knew about Santa Clara then. But I am still use to saying San Jose.

I am looking for a Grotto that is open to taking on new cavers, and will train them not only in safety, but skills and any other things a noobie should know as well.

I have been to Mercer Caverns in Murphy, CA, and Moaning Caverns.
Yeah the tours are fun… but I want to explore more, you know? I want to get down and dirty in a cave, see what beauty mother nature creates UNDER the surface ^__^
jessie_kitty
Infrequent Poster

Postby caver.adam » Oct 11, 2015 3:13 pm

I haven't been to a grotto yet that wasn't welcoming to new cavers. My first cave was California Caverns. Enjoyed reading your post because of the mention. We had to swing the lake at the end on my trip. Lots of fun! :)
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 11, 2015 4:20 pm

:woohoo: Adam, I assume--know I shouldn't do that--but you did mean "swim" rather than "swing" or do they have something new there?

Anyway, Jessillynn, I believe you'll find just what you were looking for with SFBC that meets right up the road from your home--Whether it's San Jose or Santa Clara, since they're neighbors. Hopefully, you've brought up their Internet link and found out the info that you were requesting. On top of SFBC, there's the Diablo Grotto that meets mostly in Oakland, across the bay; and, then there's the Mother Lode Grotto (MLG) that meets in the Sacramento area. If you want to go down into Central California, you'll find Stanislaus Speleological Association that meets in the Modesto/Turlock area, so...if you have more questions, buzz away. :bat sticker: Most of these grottoes cave together during the year, so that way you'll meet a lot of different cavers.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jessie_kitty » Oct 12, 2015 11:51 am

what about the one in Palo Alto? Do they have a link so I might be able to contact someone about possibly joining?
jessie_kitty
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 12, 2015 6:31 pm

All in the same. They meet at the USGS building in Palo Alto, but they're called San Francisco Bay Chapter. They've been meeting in Palo Alto for years. Did you find their Internet link to get information? If not, I'll forward it to you.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaverScott » Oct 13, 2015 7:46 am

SFBC is great group. (Former member from 1981-1985 ish) :bananabat:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby jessie_kitty » Oct 13, 2015 12:43 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote:All in the same. They meet at the USGS building in Palo Alto, but they're called San Francisco Bay Chapter. They've been meeting in Palo Alto for years. Did you find their Internet link to get information? If not, I'll forward it to you.

I actually don't have the link. And I can't find too much here sadly :/
jessie_kitty
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 13, 2015 1:11 pm

Here's the link Jessie_kitty, http://www.sfbaycaving.org/sfbcinformation/
It shows where SFBC meets, when, how to get there, which should be easy for you, coming from Santa Clara. What some folks do before the meeting, if you want, and what they might do after a meeting, if you want, so...read it over,. print it out and take it with you for your next cave meeting

By the way, you wouldn't know this, but Caver Scott was a past-president of the National Speleological Society (NSS) and believe he was the second person from SFBC, over the years, to have that honored position. We try and support the NSS by joining the "mother ship" along with paying our grotto dues. So much to learn and gain from both.

Hope this helps.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaverScott » Oct 13, 2015 1:14 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote:By the way, you wouldn't know this, but Caver Scott was a past-president of the National Speleological Society (NSS) and believe he was the second person from SFBC, over the years, to have that honored position. We try and support the NSS by joining the "mother ship" along with paying our grotto dues. So much to learn and gain from both.

Hope this helps.

Ernie - I was keeping that secret! :tonguecheek:

Jessie_kitty - Ernie knows his stuff. He is great source of info! If the grotto meeting seems boring, stick it out. The weekends are for caving! :bananabat:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaverScott » Oct 13, 2015 1:17 pm

Welcome to
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Well, Scott, SFBC was my first grotto; and, that's when George Moore was with us, so...with his deep bass voice, I still remember meeting in various homes/ and or apartments in San Francisco. One of our problems back then was when we got postcard reminders, but might be a day or two late, so we didn't know where the next meeting might be--Marin County, SF, San Jose, Oakland, etc., so that's why I gathered some guys together and we formed the Diablo Grotto in Concord. Then it jumped over to Walnut Creek; and, now is jumping around in various homes in Oakland or ??? Their dang good place--the Oakland Library--did all of their renovations on the building and guess they forgot to invite the grotto back, for some reason or another. Of course, it was in a pretty tough part of town, especially when you didn't park in the underground parking at the Library. Yikes! Scary!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 27, 2015 10:44 am

Jessie-Kitty, if you're still around, tonight's the SFBC grotto meeting. If you are wanting to get involved, tonight would be a great time, for they've got a super program going, from what I could read.

Friendly reminder that tomorrow, Tuesday, October 27th, at 7:30 pm is the members meeting.

Members Meeting (7:30pm - 9:00pm)

@ Menlo Park USGS campus

345 Middlefield Rd. Menlo Park, CA
https://goo.gl/maps/nkoXv

This month's presentation (30min) will be given by SFBC member, Elena Bridges, on her recent trip to TAG and the Fall Cave-In. Classic caves that will be featured: Neversink, Fern Cave Surprise Pit, and Stephen's Gap.

Agenda:

Social / Introductions [7:30 PM]
Announcements
Presentation
Welcome new guests/members [8:00 PM]
Trip Reports | Planning | Sign Ups
Business Announcements

Break/Oasis

Grotto Business

Share:

We'll be sharing recent photos at the meeting!
Whether it's with the grotto, on your own, or with others; bring photos, cool gear, or anything that you'd like to share. We love hearing about it and we want to hear from you.

Upload your photos here - https://www.dropbox.com/request/AEMAIySS3CN6e5KU5nwn

Pre-meeting Dinner and Exec Meeting (6:30pm - 7:15pm)

@ Jason's Cafe. All are welcome to join.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jasons-cafe-menlo-park
1246 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA 94025

Post-meeting Social (9:00pm)

@ Oasis
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-oasis-beer- ... menlo-park
241 El Camino Real, Menlo Park

Looking forward to seeing you at the meeting.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 31, 2015 12:31 am

Did you make the SFBC meeting this week, in Palo Alto? Let us know how you made out?
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Introductions