Disney Channel looking to profile young girl cavers!

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby dglasgal » Oct 26, 2015 3:32 pm

Hello,

My name is David Glasgal and I am a television producer with 7ate9 Entertainment (http://www.7ate9.com ) . We are working with Disney Channel on a project called "Make Your Mark". Now set to begin its fifth season, the short segments profile young people who have explored new frontiers, made a difference in their community, pursued their dreams, and exemplify Disney values. The goal of the program is to motivate viewers to think big, achieve their dreams, increase awareness of various issues and make their own mark on the world.

For an upcoming episode, we are looking for young girls between the ages of 5-16 in North America,) who are active and accomplished cavers and dream big. I would like to know if you can recommend any girls to be featured on our Disney Channel show. Ideally we would feature an accomplished young person who is very passionate and inspirational.

If you are working with any kids you think would be a good fit for the program, please ask them if they would like to be nominated, and get back to me with their story and contact information as soon as possible. These spots will air as 2-3 minute mini-documentary pieces all over the Disney Networks and online for about a year. We would fly to their location and film them for a day or two. Please let me know what you think and if you can help, and please feel free to pass this along to anyone else in your field whom you think can help spread the word. Thank you very much.

Here are a few examples of the people we've profiled so far.

Osama:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6sug7Azl2k

Cassidy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yin4sFiY5GI

Alanna:
http://7ate9review.com//clientview/reel ... A-h264.mov

If you have any nominations, I’d love to hear from them. If they (with parent’s help/ permission) can give me a short write-up about themselves, their history of caving, describing their passion, accomplishments and goals, that would be the first step in this process. Please also include photos. Please email Responses to me at david@7ate9.com with the subject line “Girl Adventurers” as soon as possible.

Thank you very much!

David Glasgal
Coordinating Producer
david@7ate9.com
P: 323.936.6789 F: 323 937 6713
Http://www.7ate9.com
7ate9 Entertainment 740 N. La Brea Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90038
dglasgal
New Poster

Re: Disney Channel looking to profile young girl cavers!

Postby Caving Guru » Oct 26, 2015 10:30 pm

Nice example videos.

I am unfortunately not a girl and not in the age range of 5 to 16 years old. But before I turned 17 I had done approximately 40 cave trips. I became very interested in caving at around the age of 12 and have been fascinated ever since. And I became interested in caving not influenced by my parents at all. My parents were never cavers.

In the caving community, I would also say that the majority of cavers are guys and not girls. So you would probably be more likely to find a guy in the age range of 5 to 16 years old that is an active caver. In the caving community, I would say that there are also a lot of restrictions put on you if you are under the age of 18 and want to go caving, like that you have to go on certain cave trips with your parents. When I was under the age of 18, I wanted to be independent of my parents and not be restricted to going on cave trips with my parents. So there were a lot of cave trips that I was not able to go on when I was under the age of 18.

With all these restrictions for those under the age of 18, it makes it hard to go caving if you are under the age of 18 unless your parents are cavers or one of your parents is a caver. So I would guess that most of the active cavers out there that are between the age of 5 to 16 have at least one parent that is a caver. So your best bet to find an active girl caver between the age of 5 to 16 would probably be someone who has a parent that is also an active caver.

The region of the country that I would say is the most likely to have an active girl caver between the age of 5 to 16 would be the area with the most caves in the country. This region is known as TAG which stands for Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any active girl cavers between the age of 5 to 16. But I can think of an active guy caver between the age of 5 to 16. I believe that he is around the age of 12 in the state of Alabama. His father is also an active caver.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Oct 27, 2015 9:14 am

I would try and contact the head of our JSS (junior speleological society) or our youth group liaison for a recommendation. You can find their info on the NSS home page. PM me if you need help finding their info.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 27, 2015 10:37 am

:doh: Dan, apparently at this time, there isn't a "head of our JSS," so that suggestion is down the tubes. In fact, they're looking for someone to take over so that we have the JSS at the 2016 Convention in Ely, NV.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Oct 27, 2015 12:43 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote::doh: Dan, apparently at this time, there isn't a "head of our JSS," so that suggestion is down the tubes. In fact, they're looking for someone to take over so that we have the JSS at the 2016 Convention in Ely, NV.
Oops...... :doh: I hadn't a clue. Our website still lists a contact. :yikes:

This sounds like a really cool opportunity for someone in JSS. :cavingrocks:
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 27, 2015 2:19 pm

:banana_yay: You're right Dan, but getting someone to take over that position needs to be someone who really enjoys working with kids and has the time to devote a week of their Convention time to the program. We've had some really sharp people involved, in the past, but the last couple of guys have only done it for a year; and, not like the Bowersox of Las Vegas. They really put in their time for the program. If you know of someone, let the NSS BOG and/or Matt Bowers, the '16 Convention honcho, know, for they would really like to keep the program going. :banana_yay:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby naulenbach » Nov 1, 2015 12:47 pm

Our family, along with 3 other caving families, coordinated the JSS activities during the 2014 NSS Convention in Huntsville, Alabama. It was really great fun, but is a HUGE endeavor if is to be done successfully! I really commend Rick Bowersox as well as Ed Kehs and their families for the many years they contributed to the JSS. Our daughter, Scout, who has been an active caver in TAG, across the country, and some international caving, is 12 years old. We were sent the link by about 20 different people who thought of her for this! She just turned in her letter and some pictures. Although I don't know any other young girl cavers who are as active, there ARE quite a few other girls who join our family on caving trips once or twice a year who are quite competent!

Although I know that the JSS Coordinator, Zachary Schudrowitz will not be attending the NSS Convention in Nevada next year, I believe he is still the coordinator.
naulenbach
New Poster

Postby trogman » Nov 5, 2015 1:07 am

naulenbach wrote:Our family, along with 3 other caving families, coordinated the JSS activities during the 2014 NSS Convention in Huntsville, Alabama. It was really great fun, but is a HUGE endeavor if is to be done successfully! I really commend Rick Bowersox as well as Ed Kehs and their families for the many years they contributed to the JSS. Our daughter, Scout, who has been an active caver in TAG, across the country, and some international caving, is 12 years old. We were sent the link by about 20 different people who thought of her for this! She just turned in her letter and some pictures. Although I don't know any other young girl cavers who are as active, there ARE quite a few other girls who join our family on caving trips once or twice a year who are quite competent!

Although I know that the JSS Coordinator, Zachary Schudrowitz will not be attending the NSS Convention in Nevada next year, I believe he is still the coordinator.

I would heartily endorse Scout for this role, as she is a natural! :clap: She is a very outgoing and likable young girl, and a very active caver. She takes after her parents in that regard. And her mom has some on screen experience as well, having been featured in the "Amazing Caves" IMAX movie.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby caverdan » Nov 5, 2015 12:18 pm

naulenbach wrote:Our family, along with 3 other caving families, coordinated the JSS activities during the 2014 NSS Convention in Huntsville, Alabama. It was really great fun, but is a HUGE endeavor if is to be done successfully! I really commend Rick Bowersox as well as Ed Kehs and their families for the many years they contributed to the JSS. Our daughter, Scout, who has been an active caver in TAG, across the country, and some international caving, is 12 years old. We were sent the link by about 20 different people who thought of her for this! She just turned in her letter and some pictures. Although I don't know any other young girl cavers who are as active, there ARE quite a few other girls who join our family on caving trips once or twice a year who are quite competent!

I think your daughter would be a most excellent choice. I hope to see her on the Disney Channel some day. :cavingrocks: :kewl: :clap:
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum