bought a house and it has a cave

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bought a house and it has a cave

Postby bradleymichael » Oct 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Turns out the house my wife and I just bought has a cave on it. I was alerted to the fact by a neighbor. Anyway, after finding it I decided to take a look. I gathered up some lights and such in my bag and tore out. I tied a rope to a tree at the entrance and climbed in. I figure I was about 300ft back when I saw that it was collapsed. It may be passable. I shined my light and it seemed like there was room over the top of all these small rocks. I'd like to get further but am no expert. Im sure moving these rocks could have dangerous results. I didnt have the time(told wife id be back in twenty minutes) or correct lighting(brightness) Does anyone have experience doing this?
Last edited by bradleymichael on Oct 22, 2015 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradleymichael
Infrequent Poster

Re: bought a house and it has a cave

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 21, 2015 7:33 pm

I'd love to check it out! But, it might be a while before I can get down there, and I'm sure there are lots of people nearby who will be glad to help.
Also, it is very likely that the cave is already known and is filed with the Tennessee Cave Survey. You can contact the TCS with the location of the cave, and if it's on file they should be able to give you its name, description, and a map if it has been surveyed. I'll send you a pm with some TCS contact info.
Be careful, and check out the rest of the forum for lots of good cave information.

-JK
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 21, 2015 9:43 pm

Have sent you a message.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bradleymichael » Oct 22, 2015 10:34 am

I made contact and it turns out its not on the list. Thanks for the info.
bradleymichael
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum