I Beam Clamp

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

I Beam Clamp

Postby William Tucker » Sep 23, 2015 10:59 pm

I am looking to set up a vertical practice station in my shop. I was hoping to anchor to an I beam to practice ascending, change-overs, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on what hardware to use to clamp onto the bottom of a 6 inch, steel, I-beam? The rated clamps that I have found so far are quite pricey. I was hoping for something practical, safe and economical.

Realize that this is not for catching a fall, just almost static loads (ascending and rappelling) in the 1-2 kN range plus a good safety factor.

I can't go all the way around the beam as the ceiling touches it and the beam would hide the condition of the anchor. I was hoping to clamp onto the bottom lip with something permanent that I can clip a steel crab to.

Thanks,
William
William Tucker
Frequent Poster

Name: William Tucker
NSS #: 55566RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Lubbock Area Grotto

Re: I Beam Clamp

Postby GroundquestMSA » Sep 24, 2015 1:12 am

Poke a hole through the inside of the lip and stick in a great honking hardware store eye-bolt. Or if you're nervous, put two such bolts on opposite sides and make a Y anchor.

???
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby msharitt » Sep 24, 2015 9:14 am

I agree that drilling in the bottom of the I beam and putting a solid eye bolt. Using a large washer on the far side to distribute the weight slightly more if you're worried about the nut pulling through.
Michael Sharitt
msharitt
Occasional Poster

Name: Michael Sharitt
NSS #: 64713

Postby Stridergdm » Sep 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Can't say for sure what would work in your case, but I'm actually have a bracket crafted to fit around a ceiling rafter.

It's basically an H shaped bracket made out of 1/4" steel with some holes drilled in it. Cost came in at $75.

For my needs quite reasonable.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Sep 27, 2015 5:03 pm

William Tucker wrote:I am looking to set up a vertical practice station in my shop. I was hoping to anchor to an I beam to practice ascending, change-overs, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on what hardware to use to clamp onto the bottom of a 6 inch, steel, I-beam? The rated clamps that I have found so far are quite pricey. I was hoping for something practical, safe and economical.

What about something like this for $55? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QI2HEC/

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby William Tucker » Oct 1, 2015 12:02 am

Thanks all.

I wasn't too keen on drilling into the I-beam; but, I do appreciate the frugality of the idea. I instead ordered some clamps.

NZCaver, that is basically what I got except I got them from Northern Tool (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... eam-clamps). They came in today (I ordered more than one). I installed them and they seem perfect for what I want. I plan to try them out, soon.

I will let you know if I have any issues with them; but, I seriously doubt it. They seem a good fit.

William
William Tucker
Frequent Poster

Name: William Tucker
NSS #: 55566RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Lubbock Area Grotto

Postby Extremeophile » Oct 1, 2015 2:32 pm

Instant Krazy Glue should work... at least in their ad it holds a construction worker by his hardhat. That's somewhere around 1-2 kN.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Return to On Rope!