Hello From the A in TAG

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello From the A in TAG

Postby msharitt » Aug 26, 2015 11:24 am

My name is Michael, I've been caving for about 6 years across TAG. I started out like a lot of people I'm sure, with some buddies and a last minute stop at wal mart for a light. It only took me a trip or two to realize that wasn't the proper way to go. Since then I've tried to be as active as my real job will let me with the NSS and SCCi. Which includes safer caving for anyone in my group.

I do horizontal or vertical caves. Depending on who I'm with or what we want to see. I'm sure as a whole to this forum i'm still a beginner, I've only done about 50 different caves, with multiple trips in most of them. I enjoy the caves that have things that most people don't want to go through to get to the end. Snail Shell is probably one of my favorite.

Although I've been a member of the NSS for awhile, I'm new to this forum. I've just recently got internet at the house(if that tells you how deep in the hills of Alabama I live). I'm a sucker for old and out of print literature pertaining to caves, as well as new prints. Well that should be a sufficient intro. I'm sure I'll see some of you around. Thanks
Michael Sharitt
msharitt
Occasional Poster

Name: Michael Sharitt
NSS #: 64713

Re: Hello From the A in TAG

Postby Herman Miller » Aug 26, 2015 12:32 pm

Welcome to the forums Michael. You have been in a fair number of caves, certainly enough to say you aren't such a beginner :) I hope you enjoy the forums here as there is a lot of archived knowledge here. Please don't be discouraged by how little is posted here right now. The forum like all things passes through periods of disuse and with summer in full swing most people are just out caving!
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby CaverScott » Aug 26, 2015 2:34 pm

If you like old caving periodicals, check out the marketplace in this forum. Look for "Speleo Digest" copies. Ton's of info in those books.
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby trogman » Aug 27, 2015 3:10 am

:woohoo: Glad to you on board, Michael! Hope to see you underground sometime.

Whereabouts in the 'A' are you located?

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby msharitt » Aug 27, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

I guess by the shear number of caves in the area I wasn't sure when you moved up from beginner, That's most the fun is being just as curious today as the first day we entered a cave.

Thanks caverscott I own way to many of them as what I can read already. There is just such a vast knowledge in them all compiled together.

Trogman, I am about an hour south of Huntsville in and around Cullman. So i still have to travel to Morgan or Madison county for the closest caves to me. I actually work in Blount county I see you are affiliated with the Gadsden Grotto.
Michael Sharitt
msharitt
Occasional Poster

Postby CaverScott » Aug 27, 2015 3:00 pm

Have you attended a Cullman Grotto meeting? Good peeps! :cavingrocks:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby msharitt » Aug 31, 2015 9:08 am

I have, Harold and them are a great group of cavers. I started going regularly with them a few years ago and then my work schedule stopped that. They do a lot of vertical which at the time I wasn't properly geared towards.
Michael Sharitt
msharitt
Occasional Poster

Return to Caver Introductions