Petzl myo xp

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Petzl myo xp

Postby rvinyard » Sep 29, 2005 11:10 pm

I am interested in experiences anyone has had with the Petzl MYO XP. Kudos, criticism, comments. Thanks.
rvinyard
New Poster

Postby NZcaver » Sep 30, 2005 3:32 am

Roland - didn't I see you buying one of those at Convention this year? I recall it was the last one that vendor had in stock... :wink:

I'd be interested to know what people think too - that's a headlamp I haven't tried yet.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

MYO XP

Postby pacaver » Dec 15, 2005 5:04 pm

I just got a MYO XP from http://botac.com/headlamps.html for $55.00, about $15.00 less than most vendors are selling them for. It was $63.22 with S&H. It puts out a good deal of light and is fairly compact, but I'd pay a couple extra bucks if they made it waterproof ISO water-resistant. The NSS news has a review of it and it seems like a decent if not perfect headlamp. My idea of the perfect light would be the Stenlight for the same amount of money as the MYO. Oh well, I guess I can keep dreaming! :grin:
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Re: Petzl myo xp

Postby hank moon » Dec 15, 2005 6:43 pm

rvinyard wrote:I am interested in experiences anyone has had with the Petzl MYO XP. Kudos, criticism, comments. Thanks.

The MYO XP is not recommended for caving. Check out the Princeton Tec Apex for similar features in a more cave-worthy package.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bsignorelli » Dec 15, 2005 10:58 pm

hank_moon wrote:The MYO XP is not recommended for caving. Check out the Princeton Tec Apex for similar features in a more cave-worthy package.

Yeah with the non-waterproofedness and the non-regulated and the non-3watt beam....its not the "best" thing out there.

According to the geeks on CandlePower forums, they say the light barely puts out over 1 watt....I guess thats why it doesn't need a heat sink. But they do add that an underpowered 3watt is typically brighter than a 1watt at full power.

And I don't understand the confusion on whether its regulated or not. If it was...you can bet that it would be mentioned on the box and in the directions/papers.

Bryan
Bryan Signorelli
Little Rock Grotto
bsignorelli
Prolific Poster

Petzl Myo opinions?

Postby anthonytsi » Mar 31, 2008 4:06 pm

Anybody have any opinions on the 2008 Petzl Myo. I like the fact that the P.T. Apex is waterproof, however I trust the Petzl quality. I wonder what color tone the Myo has? Any thoughts? Thanks
Last edited by NZcaver on Mar 31, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged this post into the existing Myo XP thread
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Re: Petzl Myo opinions?

Postby NZcaver » Mar 31, 2008 5:32 pm

anthonytsi wrote:Anybody have any opinions on the 2008 Petzl Myo. I like the fact that the P.T. Apex is waterproof, however I trust the Petzl quality. I wonder what color tone the Myo has? Any thoughts? Thanks

I moved your post into this old discussion about the Myo XP, and then wondered if you might mean a different version of the Myo? :doh:

If you're thinking of the XP, it's been around for a few years and isn't new in 2008. I know cavers who use it, but they don't seem to be as popular as some of the classic Petzl headlamps like the Duo. Nor as prolific as the Apex, despite it's not-quite-waterproof issues. Can't speak to the color of the LED, but I know there are much more efficient LEDs out there now. I borrowed one for a while and didn't much like the flip diffuser thing, or the buttons which seem to be difficult to operate with gloves.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby anthonytsi » Mar 31, 2008 6:01 pm

Yea, I was wondering about the 2008 myo xp that is 200% brighter, not the myo 3 or 5. and if they made any other improvements on it. Thanks for your input. Which do you prefer? I am a newbie with a Zoom, and need something better. I did a search for the Myo and found nothing, that's why I started a new topic. Thanks in advance. Anthony
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Postby NZcaver » Mar 31, 2008 6:33 pm

I have an Apex or two, and despite some minor issues I much prefer them in this "class" of headlamp. It will be like night and day comparing the Apex to your old Zoom (I caved with one of those years ago, too).

Have fun reading though the mammoth discussion on the Apex here. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby kavka » Apr 17, 2008 1:14 pm

I have xp for some time, but I made new housing (waterproof, from aluminium) and I'm runing it on 5500 mAh liIon baterry pack.
For secundary light light enough.
Gorazd
PS my primary lamp runs on carbide :big grin:
kavka
Infrequent Poster

Postby kavka » Apr 18, 2008 12:33 pm

My XP :big grin:
Gorazd
kavka
Infrequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum