Problems Logging In To Cave Chat

Questions and discussion regarding the IT behind caves.org

Moderators: vtdarrell, Moderators

Problems Logging In To Cave Chat

Postby Caving Guru » May 3, 2015 9:49 pm

I have had numerous problems logging in to Cave Chat (including today). There was a stretch for about a whole week a little while ago where I wasn't able to log in at all and I tried to log in just about every day. I am sure that I am not the only one that this is happening to. Is there any Cave Chat Admin that can comment on this?

P.S. I made a video of me logging in and then being locked out of looking at my own posts (to show what it looks like) but I am not sure how to upload the video here or if it is even possible to upload a video on Cave Chat. Is it possible to upload videos on Cave Chat?
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Problems Logging In To Cave Chat

Postby Phil Winkler » May 4, 2015 10:42 am

No, but you upload it to youtube then post the link here or share it FB from youtube.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby NZcaver » May 4, 2015 5:48 pm

I log on fairly regularly, and haven't experienced any issues with the forum in a long time. Which browser are you using? Are you sometimes logging on from a work computer or at another location which may restrict access to certain websites? It would be interesting to see what you're talking about, being locked out of looking at your own posts.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Caving Guru » May 4, 2015 9:35 pm

I use Safari and it is my home computer that often doesn't allow me to login. It seems like it shouldn't be that difficult for an Admin of Cave Chat to add a feature where you can add a video to a post similar to adding a picture to a post.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » May 5, 2015 3:09 am

I use Safari and never have trouble logging in. I know someone with a Mac that uses LastPass and sometimes it puts the kibosh on logging in w/o it.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » May 5, 2015 3:18 pm

Caving Guru wrote:I use Safari and it is my home computer that often doesn't allow me to login. It seems like it shouldn't be that difficult for an Admin of Cave Chat to add a feature where you can add a video to a post similar to adding a picture to a post.

We have a feature. It's called YouTube. Once you post the video to your YouTube account, copy the unique code of the video, paste it here on the forum, highlight it, and click the YouTube button above. That will embed the video in your post.

FYI - clicking the "add image to post" button below doesn't actually upload the image to CaveChat. It directs you to a free image hosting site (postimage.org) and then automatically embeds the link in your post. We don't upload photos and videos directly to the forum because we simply don't have the server space to store anything more than text and tiny avatar images. Nor do we want to, with so many free image and video hosting sites out there doing the job for us.

It seems that you are no longer having issues logging in.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Caving Guru » May 5, 2015 5:28 pm

That's because I am using my cell phone and not my computer.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to IT Forum