Ulla Cave Conditions

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Ulla Cave Conditions

Postby DawgsgoCaving » May 4, 2015 3:12 pm

You may be able to get through the sump if it stays like this. I've found if you have a couple weeks of dry weather you are clear to go in. A day of heavy rain may not completely sump it, but you may end up crawling through a few inches of cold water. Check the weather forecast when you do go in. As of now that's the only entrance and that area is flood-prone
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Postby msm0711 » May 13, 2015 5:23 pm

We attempted about a month ago and it was sumped. I was at Anderson Spring right down the valley from it this weekend and the water was pretty stable and low though, so things may be drained enough to pass by now.
msm0711
Frequent Poster

Name: Michael McBride
NSS #: 65541

Postby DStud » May 14, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and submitted the application, hopefully I'll hear back from them in the next day or two. I'll update the thread if we're able to get in.
DStud
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 62534
Primary Grotto Affiliation: River City Grotto

Postby DStud » May 20, 2015 2:27 pm

How's the last week been as far as rainfall for you people in the general area? I know we got swamped in N FL the last couple days
DStud
Frequent Poster

Postby monkeycrawl » Oct 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Has anyone been to ulla lately? Sumped?
monkeycrawl
Infrequent Poster

Name: Will Hammond
NSS #: 60635

Postby trogman » Nov 3, 2015 4:30 am

monkeycrawl wrote:Has anyone been to ulla lately? Sumped?

Haven't been but I'd be willing to bet it is sumped. Should've gone a week or two ago. Now you will likely have to wait until next summer.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby sumpgrump » Feb 9, 2016 6:35 pm

I have gotten permission from the GA DNR to enter Ulla this coming weekend. I know it is a long shot given that it is probably sumped, but can someone tell me how to get to the cave entrance from the kiosk?

Seth
NSS 31515
sumpgrump
Infrequent Poster

Name: seth yancey
NSS #: 31515

Postby gregmathis1 » Feb 10, 2016 3:34 pm

you need to take someone who knows the cave and its location
gregmathis1
Occasional Poster

Name: Greg Mathis D.V.M.
NSS #: 56602

Postby sumpgrump » Feb 10, 2016 3:58 pm

What a pompous reply, Greg. Thanks for being so much help.
sumpgrump
Infrequent Poster

Name: seth yancey
NSS #: 31515

Postby DStud » Feb 11, 2016 9:59 am

I sent you a private message sumpgrump
DStud
Frequent Poster

Postby ON_ROPE » Mar 6, 2016 6:08 pm

The main vertical extent to consider when going to ULLA is that the 'sometime sump' is 14 feet below the entrance. As close to the surface as this point is it reacts fairly quickly to rain events outside the cave. Often during the wet season water flows out the entrance. You do not want to be in the cave when this occurs. The entrance passage stays sumped for months at a time!
ON_ROPE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 10371
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby jeffharris58 » Oct 18, 2016 3:39 pm

I have seen some comments about finding the Something Special Dome in the back of the cave. I assure you that it does exist - I have been there once when we mapped it. It is sort of hard to find and I am quoting from over 30 years ago. When I last visited this cave in 2010, I could not find the route and had to use the original plot to refresh my memory. There is a crawlway to the right that loops back under the passages at the end - they are small crawls and in the water and finally break out into the dome. Don't expect a huge waterfall - if it were that big, you wouldn't be in the cave (or you wouldn't get out). Supposedly someone climbed the dome several years ago, and I would appreciate hearing from anyone concerning this. Perhaps a second entrance could be located that leads to the top of this dome - it would be close to the ravine by the main road up the mountain. Another entrance leading to the dome at the end of Suicide Crawl would be useless, since this crawlway also floods in wet weather (and is only 14" high). There is a surface feature near here and it would be great to surface survey to it and add it to the map. Anyone with questions feel free to e-mail me. By the way, the cave is protected six months out of the year by its natural gate (flooding) but that did not stop a vandal from removing a very nice 2 inch diameter blastoid from the wall by the slope down into the Sometime Sump.
jeffharris58
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 18137

Postby danegarreau » Oct 21, 2016 7:21 am

"Something Special" absolutely exists. It is certainly difficult to get to. The water leading there was pretty nasty, and my 5'10" 225 friend had to literally be dragged through it, which isn't very fun to do in freezing cold water btw. After the watercrawl there was another very low crawl that wasn't much fun either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otFcNOfxBmU

Skip to about 3:10 if you'd like to see the water crawl and dome.
danegarreau
Infrequent Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 21, 2016 8:07 am

trogman did some searching around above the cave and didn't find anything, if my memory serves me.
I've seen hickory nuts in the stream back past the formation hall, so there is definitely a small entrance somewhere back there.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum