Third Generation Disto-X Progress

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Third Generation Disto-X Progress

Postby Martin Sluka » Jun 9, 2014 11:47 am

Extremeophile wrote:I'm not sure how much you survey in any given trip, but I doubt you will need an in-cave replaceable battery.

Isn't better to use a powerpack to charge the DistoX2 than fidle with batteries and calibrations?
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Postby caver.adam » Jun 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Actually, I was talking about replacing the non-magnetic LiPo battery. A powerpack is probably my best bet, becuase who doesn't need a break after that many hours anyway.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby Martin Sluka » Jun 10, 2014 2:43 pm

caver.adam wrote:Actually, I was talking about replacing the non-magnetic LiPo battery. A powerpack is probably my best bet, becuase who doesn't need a break after that many hours anyway.

It is so sensitive think, that the best way is not to replace it. :)
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caver.adam » Jun 10, 2014 3:31 pm

To be fair, I was also considering making a plexiglass jig to make it easier to calibrate.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby kevinm » Jul 3, 2014 11:07 pm

I am now the proud owner of a Disto X2! Here's the problem: I have no bluetooth device that can run the software yet. Is there a way to calibrate it without that?
kevinm
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Martin Sluka » Jul 4, 2014 3:23 am

kevinm wrote:I am now the proud owner of a Disto X2! Here's the problem: I have no bluetooth device that can run the software yet. Is there a way to calibrate it without that?

1. You may run PocketTopo program on Windows too. So measure in good conditions all 56 shots and go to PC and transfer them there.
2. You may run on Android device TopoDroid and calibrate from there.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby lleblanc » Jul 5, 2014 4:47 pm

kevinm wrote:I am now the proud owner of a Disto X2! Here's the problem: I have no bluetooth device that can run the software yet. Is there a way to calibrate it without that?

A Bluetooth-capable PalmOS PDA can be had for 10$ on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Palm-One-Tungst ... 4d20224d50

You may then use my user-friendly calibration freeware.
lleblanc
Frequent Poster

Name: Luc Le Blanc

Postby flightfollowing » Apr 3, 2015 11:20 am

I am about to modify a Disto X2 and saw the discussion about the USB charger installation, most people soldering it directly to the battery contacts, but some having issues with breakage. It seems like it might be ideal to leave out the USB charger circuit until one needs to actually charge the battery, as it could contribute to magnetic influence, and the device only needs it installed during charging.
I am tentatively planning to make a little USB charger snap in block instead of soldering it in permanently, by mounting the USB charger into a plastic block which is the same size as the two AAA batteries, with the USB charger contacts touching the disto battery contacts, and then just installing the charger block into the compartment only when charging is needed, see example pic of the block, which will need to be modified to host the charger once it arrives. Any problems or suggestions for this mod?

flightfollowing
Infrequent Poster

Name: Cliff Gill
NSS #: 66346
Primary Grotto Affiliation: kcag

Postby snoboy » Apr 3, 2015 2:01 pm

Just remember that one set of battery contacts also needs to be removed. That may affect your design somewhat.

I considered a similar thing, and have not installed the USB jack yet. On a recent trip, I had my DistoX battery die, and could not recharge it in camp. If I had a commonly available connection, like say, Micro USB, it would have been a snap! That is to say, there is some advantage to having a common, not easily forgotten, connection scheme.

Considering a bunch of silicone to reinforce the jack once (if?) I do put it in.

Another path I have considered is to make a USB cable with alligator clips. Risk there is backwards connection and frying the DistoX/battery etc.
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby snoboy » Apr 3, 2015 2:05 pm

A note on the physical mods that I ran up against.

I removed the end piece entirely, in part to get of the magnet, and also to give a nice spot to connect a lanyard. I left the axle in place.

What I did not realize until later, is that the end piece acts in part as a "lock" for the battery compartment. With the end piece in the folded position, the battery compartment does not open. With it gone, there seems to be the possibility that the battery compartment door could more easily get opened and lost in cave.
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Postby flightfollowing » Apr 3, 2015 3:38 pm

Snoboy thanks for the feedback and suggestions. When you say that one set of battery contacts need to be removed, are you sure of that? I figured the top contact was just completing the circuit between the two batteries to keep them in series, and as long as I used non conductive plastic block it would not matter to leave the springy top battery contact in place. But I have not opened it up to confirm if the top contacts are wired in somewhere. Or is their a magnetic reason to remove the top battery contact strip?
I plan to leave the extension end piece installed and just machine away the tiny magnet in it. It looks like it will not line up perfectly with the laser axis, but will only be out about 3 mm.
flightfollowing
Infrequent Poster

Name: Cliff Gill
NSS #: 66346
Primary Grotto Affiliation: kcag

Postby snoboy » Apr 3, 2015 4:59 pm

I think it is removed to reduce magnetic influence. It is in the build instructions anyways. It just pulls out.
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Postby Tony C » Aug 31, 2015 10:53 am

snoboy wrote:Another path I have considered is to make a USB cable with alligator clips. Risk there is backwards connection and frying the DistoX/battery etc.

That's what I did. Color coding the alligator clips, color code the contacts, pay attention like you might fry a $600 device, and you'll be fine. Soldering the mini USB connector to the springy battery terminals wasn't mechanically secure enough for me, so I removed the USB connectors and used the alligator clips.
Tony C
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 44230
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philly

Previous

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum