Time Frame

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Time Frame

Postby msm0711 » Mar 15, 2015 8:14 pm

This may be a silly question, but I'm betting this is the correct place to ask.

Can anyone give me an estimate of an approximate time it takes to go from 0 dives (beginner) to the most basic type of cave diving? I have had some friends suggest it would be something I would enjoy, but generally use the excuse that I'm to old to start now, since I have plenty of caving under my belt, but no diving experience. Thanks for any suggestions on a time frame (or anything else) that anyone cares to share!
msm0711
Frequent Poster

Name: Michael McBride
NSS #: 65541

Re: Time Frame

Postby aa3jy » Mar 16, 2015 11:32 am

Try here with your question..

http://www.cavediver.net/

Good luck,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.
aa3jy
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64241

Postby FW » Mar 18, 2015 4:51 pm

msm0711 wrote:This may be a silly question, but I'm betting this is the correct place to ask.

Can anyone give me an estimate of an approximate time it takes to go from 0 dives (beginner) to the most basic type of cave diving? I have had some friends suggest it would be something I would enjoy, but generally use the excuse that I'm to old to start now, since I have plenty of caving under my belt, but no diving experience. Thanks for any suggestions on a time frame (or anything else) that anyone cares to share!

A lot depends on how comfortable you are in the water. Then there is the issue of scheduling classes and open water testing. A good SCUBA class will be on the order of 40 hours. That could be done in a week, if you were on vacation in the tropics, or months if you have to work around the schedule of a local dive shop. Advanced open water is recommended, but not required, before starting cavern classes, which is the most basic type of cave diving.

The last post is correct, you will get more answers on the cavediver.net forum. Not too many cave divers read this forum.
Any opinions are personal.
FW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Forrest Wilson
NSS #: 16631
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby msm0711 » Mar 18, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks to both of you. I'm hoping to check out the other forum when I get back home next week!
msm0711
Frequent Poster

Name: Michael McBride
NSS #: 65541

Return to Cave Diving Forum