2015 NCRC Training Seminar in Kentucky!

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby scrambler » Dec 11, 2014 3:37 pm

It's that time again! :grin: The 2015 NCRC Weeklong Training Seminar will be held in Park City, Kentucky, just down the street (literally) from Mammoth Cave National Park! :cavingrocks: See our Facebook page <https://www.facebook.com/Ncrc2014> for more information (yes, FB page says 2014, we recycled! :tonguecheek: ).

PS: Sorry for the smilies, but I was on a roll! :big grin:
scrambler
Frequent Poster

Re: 2015 NCRC Training Seminar in Kentucky!

Postby cavedoc » Dec 15, 2014 12:53 am

Scholarships available. Check the registration page.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Feb 14, 2015 1:30 am

Roger, do you have to be an NSS member/caver or could a SAR member apply for a scholarship? And, is there a way to be tested, to go around Level One with one's background? John Punches knows the person that I'm thinking of, who is highly interested in going to this NCRC, although he'd like to have one that's closer. <grin>
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 14, 2015 2:02 am

Ernie Coffman wrote:Roger, do you have to be an NSS member/caver or could a SAR member apply for a scholarship? And, is there a way to be tested, to go around Level One with one's background? John Punches knows the person that I'm thinking of, who is highly interested in going to this NCRC, although he'd like to have one that's closer. <grin>

Roger can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that all scholarship applicants need to be NSS members. Of course SAR people can (and do) join the NSS without being cavers, at least initially. Everybody who attends a national seminar needs to be an NSS member, unless they choose to pay a non-member surcharge.

There is no way to "test out" and avoid the level one class. Everybody starts at level one.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Ernie Coffman » Feb 14, 2015 10:48 am

Thanks for that quick response NZ. I figured as much, but wanted to see it in writing, that's all, just in case there was a little leeway.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 14, 2015 9:51 pm

From the NCRC page:

The NCRC will be awarding three $330 scholarships to help students attend the national weeklong seminar at Park City, KY July 24-August 1, 2015. To be considered please send a caving resume, 2 letters of support from NSS members, and a cover letter describing your financial need and how training would benefit the caving community in your region. Letters from grotto officers will be given the most weight. Letters from Regional Coordinators will be given less weight.

Submit your information to Roger Mortimer, 1455 N. Echo Avenue, Fresno, CA, 93728.
All materials may be submitted electronically to ncrc-scholarship@sbcglobal.com
All materials must arrive by April 26, 2015 to be considered.
Awards will be announced by May 26, 2015.

I see no requirement to be an NSS member to apply. However, you do need to be an NSS member to attend. (There's a "non-nss" option, but I believe it's like $100 so it costs more than joining the NSS.)

But Roger is the person to say for sure.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby cavedoc » Mar 1, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi Ernie,
I would be possible, but not likely. If this person has been part of a grotto and just couldn't afford NSS membership it might work. We give the most weight to letters to Grotto officers so that we can reward active Grotto participants who will then go back and share what they have learned with the Grotto. A person who was purely SAR could theoretically get a scholarship but it would be difficult. Last year we had 17 applications and only 2 scholarships to give. This year we will have 3 so the odds are better, but still.

As stated, we do not let anyone test out of levels. We get a lot of people with strong technical rescue skills who are new to caves and strong cavers who are new to technical rescue. Even those who come in prepared on both sides do not necessarily have all the things that we teach. The levels build on each other.

Roger
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavedoc » Mar 14, 2015 11:58 pm

Scholarships available. Time to get those applications in. Note that the e-mail is sbcglobal.net and not .com

The NCRC will be awarding three $330 scholarships to help students attend the national weeklong seminar at Park City, KY July 24-August 1, 2015. To be considered please send a caving resume, 2 letters of support from NSS members, and a cover letter describing your financial need and how training would benefit the caving community in your region. Letters from grotto officers will be given the most weight. Letters from Regional Coordinators will be given less weight. Submit your information to Roger Mortimer, 1455 N. Echo Avenue, Fresno, CA, 93728.
All materials may be submitted electronically to ncrc-scholarship@sbcglobal.net
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 19, 2015 9:25 pm

cavedoc wrote:Scholarships available. Time to get those applications in. Note that the e-mail is sbcglobal.net and not .com

The NCRC will be awarding three $330 scholarships to help students attend the national weeklong seminar at Park City, KY July 24-August 1, 2015. To be considered please send a caving resume, 2 letters of support from NSS members, and a cover letter describing your financial need and how training would benefit the caving community in your region. Letters from grotto officers will be given the most weight. Letters from Regional Coordinators will be given less weight. Submit your information to Roger Mortimer, 1455 N. Echo Avenue, Fresno, CA, 93728.
All materials may be submitted electronically to ncrc-scholarship@sbcglobal.net

Wait, you're telling me I can cave in Kentucky near Mammoth AND there's "free" money on the table and people aren't applying! Get with it folks! :-)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby scrambler » May 28, 2015 1:18 pm

I just spent Memorial Day Weekend at Park Mammoth Resort and they are looking forward to having us down there! Early registration ends June 15 (two weeks!) so make sure you register now before you have to pay more! See you all underground in our playground! :thanks:
scrambler
Frequent Poster

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum