Every GSS listings added in streets and trips -

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Every GSS listings added in streets and trips -

Postby bennettbike » Jan 14, 2015 12:24 am

I decided to start a project, which I have finally completed, I have added a pin for all the caves known in Georgia into streets and trips via import data wizard using xls.

I scanned each of the GSS listings and used a scan to xls converter, nothing converted perfectly so there was a lot of hours spent getting everything in the xls in proper order, i then added - vertical or horizontal cave type to each pin. I have decided not to add cave lengths yet. Searching through the map you can simply look at the GSS cave # and look at your printed handout for more information.

Streets and trips can tape the GPS coordinates in the min, deg, sec in which the GSS has them listed.

The photos I am adding are blurred out, crossed out and can not be used to find actual caves, so I feel posting a picture of my map on here is NOT a violation of cave privacy, something I agree and uphold. See below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/b ... e/map2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/b ... e/map1.jpg

To anyone who wants a copy Private message me, you will need to provide me proof of GSS membership (screenshot of your listings is sufficient)

p.s.
I KNOW I NEED TO RE-PAY for my membership, something I am planning to do soon along with my NSS membership which has also ended. I suggest everyone to do the same if you have lapsed.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: Every GSS listings added in streets and trips -

Postby batrotter » Jan 14, 2015 5:56 am

It looks like you have a worthy project, but wouldn't it have been better to load all of these locations into a mapping software that has contour lines and elevations rather than streets?

BTW, Streets and Trips has been discontinued by MS.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in this project since I live in Indiana and don't cave in Georgia.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby Rangeoflight » Jan 14, 2015 1:19 pm

I have Google Earth Pro. If you would like I can take your xls input and create a kmz file that you can display/use in free google earth. Best of both worlds (streets and contours)
Rangeoflight
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64028

Postby bennettbike » Jan 14, 2015 1:58 pm

Oh sweet, I did not know about a KMZ file, when I get home after work tonight I will PM you and send the XLS file, I dont even know what Google Earth Pro is haha.

And maybe with Google Earth Pro you can change the map to topo and back and forth.

In the telecom industry everyone uses Streets and Trips, im sure it will be a decade or more before the roads change so much that it matters I have an old version.

Rangeofflight, IS GOOGLE EARTH PRO AN OFFLINE MAP??
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby LukeM » Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm

Just FYI, I believe the KML/KMZ limit on number of markers is 1000. If you have >1000 points you'll have to split it up.

You can display topo maps in Google Earth if you load the right KML file. Here you go. Also, Google Earth does require an internet connection.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby bennettbike » Jan 14, 2015 4:32 pm

Well, i can host a version of S&T on my server.

I dont have time to check Googles limit but that would cut it close, the GSS listings had a lot of repeating caves and it migt just squeeze in at 1000 but I really dont have a clue.

I maintain its cool using Streets and Trips as its an offline map, no need for an internet connection.

PM me for copies.

Thanks guys for the information!!!☺
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby Rangeoflight » Jan 14, 2015 6:02 pm

[quote="LukeM"]Just FYI, I believe the KML/KMZ limit on number of markers is 1000. If you have >1000 points you'll have to split it up.

I have loaded kml/kmz with well over 10000 points. I'm don't believe that there is a hard limit. There is a practical limit where the points take up so much available memory that one might wish there was a limit. (Very slow response time). A reasonably recent laptop has enough horsepower to deal with a couple thousand points with no issue.

There are really only two fundamental differences between the "Pro" version of Google Earth and the "Free" version. First is the ability to accept more file types; the free version won't take txt,csv,xls, etc. Second is the resolution/quality of images used outside of GE. Meaning if you want to print or cut/paste a screenshot of a map section into something else, the free version will be less clear.

It is possible to view kmz files over topo without loading another kmz. There is an option to "view in google maps". Not sure what the ramifications of that are.

I haven't tried to view kmz using google maps on a smartphone or tried with offline maps. Might have to try that in the future.
Rangeoflight
Infrequent Poster

Postby trogman » Jan 15, 2015 11:57 am

I have to say I'm curious about something in your process: you said they you scanned the GSS files and converted them to xls. Why is that even necessarily, since the GSS provides the data in a CSV file already? Just wondering about that...

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby bennettbike » Jan 15, 2015 2:31 pm

Trogman, I never received a digital copy. I guess asking them may have been smart, but it was fun never the less. I read a lot of detail, like Tonya Harding Cave, hahaha.

Range of Flight, I did not have a desire to go download and pay for Google Earth Pro, for work, I could use more clear images BIGTIME! I am going to download that asap.
thanks!!!

anyhow, nothing more to say.

**** If anyone wants a copy of the xls page I made or a copy of streets and trips, let me know via PM.

thanks everyone for your interest.
it was a lot of fun.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby rlboyce » Jan 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Nice ZX : )
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby LukeM » Jan 16, 2015 9:49 am

Rangeoflight wrote:I have loaded kml/kmz with well over 10000 points. I'm don't believe that there is a hard limit.

Huh, as of just a few years ago I was loading multiple KML files due to the limit, and the KML documentation definitely states 1,000 features max. Maybe they recently upped the limit but forgot to update the documentation?

https://developers.google.com/kml/documentation/mapsSupport?csw=1
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby msm0711 » Feb 4, 2015 4:23 pm

bennettbike wrote:....... pay for Google Earth Pro.....

GE Pro is free now...... just an FYI
msm0711
Frequent Poster

Name: Michael McBride
NSS #: 65541

Postby Rangeoflight » Feb 5, 2015 5:40 pm

msm0711 wrote:
bennettbike wrote:....... pay for Google Earth Pro.....

GE Pro is free now...... just an FYI

the download has always been free. Let me know if you download it and it is still working after the 7-day trial period. If so, I'll ask for my money back, just had to renew.
Rangeoflight
Infrequent Poster

Postby Rangeoflight » Feb 5, 2015 5:43 pm

LukeM wrote:
Rangeoflight wrote:I have loaded kml/kmz with well over 10000 points. I'm don't believe that there is a hard limit.

Huh, as of just a few years ago I was loading multiple KML files due to the limit, and the KML documentation definitely states 1,000 features max. Maybe they recently upped the limit but forgot to update the documentation?

https://developers.google.com/kml/documentation/mapsSupport?csw=1

If you have more than 2500 features, there is a dialog box that asks if you want to import all or just some. I haven't had an issue in the last 5 years. Of course, I didn't read the part where the manual told me there was a limit. :big grin:
Rangeoflight
Infrequent Poster

Postby LukeM » Feb 6, 2015 3:28 pm

Rangeoflight wrote:Of course, I didn't read the part where the manual told me there was a limit. :big grin:

I see where I went wrong.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum