Paid/refunded speleo explorations/studies in Europe?

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Paid/refunded speleo explorations/studies in Europe?

Postby alfred » Nov 22, 2014 3:06 pm

Hello,

I'd like to know if any of you know about possible paid/refunded speleo explorations/studies in Europe.

I've met a local grotto here and they introduced me to a larger group, though from what I understand even the few people doing multiple-days cave explorations (sleeping inside etc) do them on job holidays, without even getting something back for travel expense and such.

While I enjoy caving very much, bought the equipment all by myself (rope too) and am not too finicky when it comes about harsh environments, I always have to turn down so called "speleo-camps" offers (using some excuses since I'm too shy to complain about my economical status) because it would take too much time away and I can't afford to travel that far and to ditch work.

Do any of you know know about present/past or even future projects involving some kind of refunds, is that only allowed for trained speleodivers or even them get nothing and cover everything at their expense?

Thank you very much

Alfred
alfred
Infrequent Poster

Re: Paid/refunded speleo explorations/studies in Europe?

Postby Phil Winkler » Nov 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Alfred,

I have never heard of such programs for caving and can't imagine who would fund such a thing. I have been on at least 2 major multi-day expeditions into Holloch and the Pierre St. Martin (many years ago) and everyone funded themselves.

Lots of fun, tho.

Phil
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Re: Paid/refunded speleo explorations/studies in Europe?

Postby leeboop » Nov 22, 2014 10:06 pm

The NSS offers grants for specific projects. They are not intended to fund trips because you "just" want to go caving (ie, for recreational purposes). However, if you have a legitimate project that aligns with the mission statement of the NSS, you should submit a grant proposal outlining your project: http://caves.org/grants/index.shtml

Good luck!
Lee Boop (NSS #59401)
NSS Social Media Committee Goddess/Chairman
email me with suggestions, constructive criticism, and offers to join the Social Media team: socialmedia@caves.org
http://www.caves.org/committee/sm/
leeboop
Frequent Poster

Name: Lee Boop
NSS #: 59401
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Connecticut Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum