Spelunking/TRESPASSING/caving on the history channel

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Spelunking/TRESPASSING/caving on the history channel

Postby rchrds » Oct 24, 2014 12:21 pm

So, I'm at home, working on tonight's work, and happen across a TV show on the History channel about these two guys wandering around in a set of old mines/quarries and talking about the relations to the nights templar. Well, that is all good, but as they are going into the smallish, cave looking entrance, they host mentions that they aren't supposed to be there, repeatedly calling the place a cave and caves, and they make a show of being sneaky with their parking and going in. I'm not impressed. This is how the History channel wants to portray caving? Just going into archaeological sites without permission and doing whatever? Real nice. Yea, it's not a cave, but non-cavers won't make that distinction, they just see "cavers' trespassing into this site, wandering around with coleman lanterns and no proper gear.
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Re: Spelunking/TRESPASSING/caving on the history channel

Postby caver.adam » Oct 24, 2014 3:53 pm

The people who watch the channel will enjoy the added suspense. The owners of caves and mines will hate cavers after watching the show (cavers who actually didn't have anything to do with the show or trespassing). Some amateurs will copy the show and get hurt, and cavers (who are now the bad guys) will have to rescue them. And History Channel will make money. Sounds perfectly legit. Why should the show care about the impact they have on anything other than their profit margin?
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Oct 24, 2014 6:54 pm

caver.adam wrote: The owners of caves and mines will hate cavers after watching the show (cavers who actually didn't have anything to do with the show or trespassing). Some amateurs will copy the show and get hurt, and cavers (who are now the bad guys) will have to rescue them.

I doubt the consequences will be that dire... or exist at all. Still, it is discouraging that some people believe the nonsense they see on television, that they think that reality tv is reality. Last weekend some of my cousins visited from Dayton, Ohio. They brought a friend who was terrified of "this creepy place"; my home and surroundings. Furthermore, she was afraid of Amish people because of idiotic television programs. An Amish guy owns my house, and after she learned this she refused to step outside because she thought "Jobasiah, or who ever he is" would get her. It was funny for a few minutes, then sickening.

As it relates to caves, I'm not personally alarmed by misinformation and misrepresentation on television. My personal habits and opportunities and reputation are not effected, and nothing much is harmed. Caves are probably protected, to a degree, by phobia, misinformation, and ignorance.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boreholio » Oct 27, 2014 11:07 am

GQ, your cousins' friend's reaction confirms that people get false ideas "stuck" in their heads from these contrived "reality" shows. I think there could be significant consequences from these shows on "caving" and whether, as individuals, we are affected is not very relevant. The point is, being vigilant about shows of this type and doing what we can, e.g. rational emails, letters, etc., to pro-actively combat misinformation is probably a better strategy than complacence. IMO, caves are just as likely, if not much more so, to be harmed by phobia, misinformation, and ignorance.

And, I'm fully expecting a show on ancient alien paranormal nazi treasure bigfoot hunters using caves as demonic bases any day now. :roll:
Last edited by boreholio on Oct 27, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Postby MUD » Oct 27, 2014 2:05 pm

:big grin: And NOT having television for over 12 years now I can proudly say I've never watched a reality show.

My life IS real and far more worth living than watching tv. Imagine that. :woohoo:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum