Cavern Discovered On My west Texas Ranch 95' Below Surface

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cavern Discovered On My west Texas Ranch 95' Below Surfa

Postby kapkangaroo » Sep 5, 2014 1:38 pm

Colt45,

We do a good deal of caving out in West Texas. I agree with what others have said. Start with the TSS archive to see what else is in the area and how close it is to your cave. I'm in Austin (where the TSS archive is kept) and I can help you out with that if you're interested. It'd also be a good idea to do some ridge walking in the area to get an idea for the topography and if there might be other entrances or other caves nearby. Shoot me a private message if you want help with the TSS archives or want any help from Texas cavers.
kapkangaroo
New Poster

NSS #: 65586
Primary Grotto Affiliation: UT Grotto

Postby travii99 » Sep 10, 2014 2:17 pm

I am a director with the TSS and Texas caver and willing to help provide information if you would like. We also have experienced cavers that might be able to come help and assist you in this. I sent you a private message as well. Thanks!
travii99
Infrequent Poster

Postby arizonaowl » Sep 15, 2014 6:18 pm

The method you are using is probably the best. In Missouri, in such a case, eventually the state drilled a hole about 25 inches in diameter, and a person was lowered into it. This involved a study of a proposed dam area. You can imagine they were not happy at finding such a large opening. However, you can get a spy video camera, and a rather bright light to go with it, and then lower that into the hole you already have drilled. Such cameras are rather inexpensive. Check out Fry's electronics. The light could be several possiblilities. Good luck, Al Copley 20845
arizonaowl
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 20845
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NAG

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum