Rocking packs, and other practical jokes done by cavers

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you ever rock your fellow cavers' packs?

Poll ended at Oct 10, 2014 9:26 am

1. No, never
23%
2. Sometimes, but not usually
60%
3. Every chance I get
3%
4. Only in retaliation when someone has rocked mine.
13%

Total votes : 30

Rocking packs, and other practical jokes done by cavers

Postby trogman » Sep 10, 2014 9:26 am

I was curious to see what others on this forum thought about this whole topic of rocking packs. Like many of you, I have been both the victim and the perpetrator of this prank. But with age I am beginning to have less and less appreciation for the humor of it. After recently undergoing hernia surgery, I am wondering about the wisdom of doing such things to our fellow cavers. Some of our fellows may have undisclosed health issues, such as a hernia, that could be seriously aggravated by the addition of a few extra pounds in their pack. Am I just being an old humorless fuddy-duddy, or is this a valid concern? The same goes for other pranks that cavers pull on each other. What do ya'll think?

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Re: Rocking packs, and other practical jokes done by cavers

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 10, 2014 9:41 am

Under the right circumstances, I'll do it. My goal is usually to use it as an ice-breaker rather than malice. It's more fun to "rock" packs other things that are useless in a cave like staplers, owners manuals or CD's.

Also, stay off my lawn.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby trogman » Sep 10, 2014 9:42 am

Moderator, I need to know who casts which vote, so I know who to keep an eye on when I go caving with these folks. :big grin:

trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Sep 10, 2014 10:10 am

Last year we did fantastic and I used 2 packs as a weight to lower the rope down through my rack, through a pully at the anchor for a clean drop. When he got to the bottom he didnt want to climb all 586' back up with it so he clipped it to the rope and said "Ill pull the rope up".

AFter he started climbing we put 10 pounds of rocks and all of the trash we could find at the bottom of the pit..................

His arms were shot by time he had the rope pulled up to the top. ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby HKalnitz » Sep 10, 2014 10:57 am

Best done with a can of beer....
- Want a beer?

- You gonna call room service?

We got beer.

If you hauled beer up this rock, you're insane.

I may be insane, but I'm not stupid.

I didn't carry it, you did it. It's in your pack.

Jesus Christ! I ought to throw you off this pillar.

- Besides, it's warm.

- I'm sorry. I'd thought you'd draw the line at hauling ice.

(from the eiger Sanction)
The NSS needs Cavers more then Cavers need the NSS
HKalnitz
Frequent Poster

Name: Howard Kalnitz
NSS #: 20678
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Great Cincinnati Grotto

Postby MUD » Sep 10, 2014 12:19 pm

In all my years of caving I've never been "rocked" or have done it to anyone else. I've never heard of anyone I cave with doing it or receiving it either. I've heard people who cave in TAG have to put up with this crap. I've never caved in TAG so maybe that's why it hasn't happened? I don't think I'd much like that if someone did it to me. LOL, seems 5th grade to me.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Chads93GT » Sep 10, 2014 12:34 pm

Throwing balls of mud at each other in the cave is 5th grade too but it happens ;) My pack was rocked as i started caving, In missouri ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Sep 10, 2014 1:04 pm

I got my pack rocked... funny thing is that I didn't know it until I got home and unpacked it.
This particular cave is in dolomite, yet has these pockets of some sort of calcite type rock that what would normally be a 20-30 pounder would only weigh about 2 lbs. You can pick up this huge rock effortlessly. That is what they rocked it with, and I guess they kept waiting and waiting for a reaction from me which never came. I'm not naming any names but his first initials are ET :big grin:

Next, there is a joker, who is well known around these parts as Cupcake. He likes to carry a rubber snake with him to scare the unsuspecting with. On the outside of a cave though, you have to be careful because it might just be a real snake this time. :yikes:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby leeboop » Sep 11, 2014 11:09 am

I'm a geologist and get distracted/fascinated by weird rocks. Whereas I abide by the "never remove anything from a cave" etiquette, rarely I will take a piece of breakdown to thin section (to look at under a petrographic microscope). The first time I did this, I slipped a rock a bit larger than my hand into my pack and thought nothing of it. During a rest stop on the recreational trip that I was on, my fellow cavers started talking about "rocking packs." I confessed that I had rocked my own pack and they all looked at me with furrowed eyebrows. :big grin:
Lee Boop (NSS #59401)
NSS Social Media Committee Goddess/Chairman
email me with suggestions, constructive criticism, and offers to join the Social Media team: socialmedia@caves.org
http://www.caves.org/committee/sm/
leeboop
Frequent Poster

Name: Lee Boop
NSS #: 59401
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Connecticut Grotto

Postby KeyserSoze » Sep 12, 2014 3:31 pm

I'll rock somebody's pack if they leave it behind when they shouldn't have. Don't leave your pack behind, you never know when there will be an emergency and you need it. I learned my lesson the hard way so I'll gladly pass it along to the next person.
This signature is really funny
KeyserSoze
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61069
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Sep 14, 2014 4:14 pm

My friend's son got his helmet rocked when we were hiking up Little Coon yesterday. He got all the way to the top and then figured it out hahaha. It was pretty funny
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Postby trogman » Sep 15, 2014 9:30 am

DawgsgoCaving wrote:My friend's son got his helmet rocked when we were hiking up Little Coon yesterday. He got all the way to the top and then figured it out hahaha. It was pretty funny

Helmet rocked??? I've never heard of that. I wonder who could've done that to him? I think I know who I need to watch out for now.

KeyserSoze wrote:I'll rock somebody's pack if they leave it behind when they shouldn't have. Don't leave your pack behind, you never know when there will be an emergency and you need it. I learned my lesson the hard way so I'll gladly pass it along to the next person.

So the way you see it, you're doing them a favor by teaching them a valuable lesson, huh? :laughing:

I remember a guy in college who left his FB page open on a comp in the previous class. When I discovered it, I was SO tempted to change his profile to say he was gay. That would've taught him a lesson, for sure. But I was nice, and just told him about it later. I guess if I'd have done it the other way it would have made a more lasting impression.

trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Sep 15, 2014 5:26 pm

I once rocked Mikie's mini mag on his helmet. :big grin: Mikie does hold the record for rocking the most people on one trip, around these parts. He was the patient in a CCRN rescue training scenario in Glenwood. He rocked his own pack knowing the rescue party would have to haul it out. :yikes: Being very heavy.....a lot of people helped haul it out.

:cavingrocks: :cavingrocks: :cavingrocks:
Last edited by caverdan on Sep 22, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby arizonaowl » Sep 15, 2014 6:14 pm

I think this is rather interesting, Al copley 20845
arizonaowl
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 20845
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NAG

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Sep 16, 2014 9:08 am

caverdan wrote:He was the patient in a CCRN rescue training scenario in Glenwood. Re rocked his own pack knowing the rescue party would have to haul it out. :yikes: Being very heavy.....a lot of people helped haul it out.

That's pretty clever. I may have to borrow that idea haha
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum