Teddy Bear Well

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Teddy Bear Well

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Sep 11, 2014 9:28 am

If anyone who has been through Teddy Bear Well could send me a PM I would really appreciate it. I just have a question about the map.

Thanks!
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Re: Teddy Bear Well

Postby trogman » Sep 12, 2014 10:06 am

I would suggest trying to contact ET Davis, as he was part of the mapping crew. He should be listed in the member's manual. Funny that they drew two maps, both in the same year. It looks to me like you'll have to have at least one additional rope to rig the 105' pit if you want to bottom the cave. It is a bit confusing, as it appears that you may have to do another pit or two before you even get to the 105'.
Ya'll have fun!

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Sep 12, 2014 1:37 pm

trogman wrote: Funny that they drew two maps, both in the same year. Trogman :helmet:

If you notice, both maps have the same surveyors names, dates, etc... I've been told that Torode used to re draw maps if he didn't like the quality that they were turned in as. If you take a look at the second map, while it does not have Torode's name on it, it is classic Torode style so it would make sense that this is one he did this for as well. He also oriented the second map to North.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby trogman » Sep 12, 2014 11:23 pm

UnderGroundEarth wrote:
trogman wrote: Funny that they drew two maps, both in the same year. Trogman :helmet:

If you notice, both maps have the same surveyors names, dates, etc... I've been told that Torode used to re draw maps if he didn't like the quality that they were turned in as. If you take a look at the second map, while it does not have Torode's name on it, it is classic Torode style so it would make sense that this is one he did this for as well. He also oriented the second map to North.

Yes, I did notice that, which had me really puzzled. :question: Like you, I also noticed it was a Torode-style map, and I fully expected to see his name on it. You're probably correct- he likely re-drew it, maybe because he didn't like the north arrow pointing the wrong way. (That always bugs me too!) Maybe I'll call ET myself and see what he has to say about it.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Sep 14, 2014 2:25 am

We went today. It is a free drop of about 100' into a huge room. Pretty impressive considering there's no water running through it.

We couldn't find our way out of the first major junction, though. The 40' pit closest to the entrance looked like it had collapsed due to a fractured piece of the wall. Another route, a 2' crawl, was also wedged behind some breakdown, and Guy's Passage, the one that begins with a 10' climb up, didn't get us any where. My friend and I went in pretty far. We crawled sideways to an area that took us down two canyons (Considering it was the only way down and the map called for another 160'ish drop in elevation I think it was the right way). When I got to the bottom of the second one I could see rope prints in the mud and evidence of people going through there but it just dead-ended. Seemed to anyhow -maybe we missed it? My friend and I looked around there for a while. All of us looked for leads.

Those maps look like they would be right, but it's almost like the cave shifted lol. Something happened... That 40' pit by the entrance is definitely plugged. I'm curious to know how long it's been like that.Whatever it is we couldn't get through it. Apparently Bill Putnam was in there two years ago. We'll have to ask him how he got to the back. The cave is pretty neat. I hope to see all of it next time. Today was a good day to hike up there too with the weather being cool and all.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum