Greetings from Indiana!

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Greetings from Indiana!

Postby BillKane7 » Sep 9, 2014 12:38 pm

Hello everyone. My name's Bill and I'm a bit new to this. I was very into caving as a young man. Our scout leader was a wild cave guide in his youth and since he maintained ties with the community we took caving trips once a month for several years. This was in northern Georgia and southern Tennessee for the most part. Fast forward 20 years and I'm up here in northwest Indiana, looking to connect with cavers in my area. I'm a hiking enthusiast, wilder the terrain the happier I am, but I haven't been caving (aside from walking tours in Mammoth, Marengo, etc) in years. I decided to join the NSS (haven't received my card yet) and look for a grotto in my area. I'm an emt with a local 911/transport service, working full time and going to school for nursing, so I don't have a ton of free time. But I want to spend the time I ~do~ have hiking, camping, and caving every chance I get.

The closest grotto to my location, according to the NSS grotto finder, is the St. Joseph Valley Grotto in Elkhart Indiana. Unfortunately their site hasn't been updated since 2013 and I'm not sure if they're still active at all. I did send emails to a few contacts listed on the site but I haven't heard back. Perhaps they disbanded? In any case, I'm in search of an active grotto within a couple hours drive of Northwest Indiana. I looked through one of the Chicago groups, might try contacting them next if I can't find an active group in Indiana. Any suggestions welcome!

I read through several threads here before I joined and I think this will be a fun and helpful place to get to know folks so I decided to register and introduce myself. Now I think I'll go back to browsing the forums! Have a great day. :grin:
BillKane7
Infrequent Poster

Name: Bill Kane
NSS #: 66140
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Still looking for one....

Re: Greetings from Indiana!

Postby johnf93 » Sep 9, 2014 1:52 pm

Welcome Bill!

John
Semper ubi sub ubi.
johnf93
Occasional Poster

Name: John
NSS #: 64986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Boston

Postby Caving Guru » Sep 9, 2014 2:11 pm

There were actually about 20 people from the Saint Joseph Valley Grotto at the Old Timer's Reunion (OTR) two weekends ago. The Saint Joseph Valley Grotto seems to be one of the more active grottos in Indiana based on their representation at OTR. I would suggest that you join the Saint Joseph Valley Grotto Facebook Group which currently has 53 members. According to their Facebook group, the September Grotto cave trip will be on September 27th to the caves of Caver River Valley. I wish you luck on finding what you are looking for.

Here is the link for the Saint Joseph Valley Grotto's Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sjvg1/.
Last edited by Caving Guru on Sep 9, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BillKane7 » Sep 9, 2014 2:42 pm

Excellent! Thanks so much, I wonder if the NSS link is just to an old unused site of theirs.

edit: I found the facebook group and it says to message them if you're interested. Unfortunately it's a closed group so I'm unable to actually message them. I did put in a join group request so hopefully it works out. Thanks again for the info Guru!
BillKane7
Infrequent Poster

Name: Bill Kane
NSS #: 66140
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Still looking for one....

Return to Caver Introductions