The NSS role

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Re: The NSS role

Postby amaddox » Aug 20, 2014 7:12 am

buddyh wrote:Spoke with my Scouting District Executive recently. Looks like, from the Scouting side, the best way to go is with a Venture Crew. I will be putting out a few feelers in the Baltimore Area Council over the next few weeks. Now I need to reach out to the NSS Convention Committee and see what they think.

Sounds great. Crew will work well. Keep posting updates... :kewl:
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby buddyh » Sep 4, 2014 9:48 pm

Things are moving and they are taking time but all lights are green. After checking locally, the VOA is on board. I reached out to the contact for Ely. The idea has been received well. There may even be a youth ambassador in the works. A lot of questions still pop up everyday. Resources are being investigated. But here is a question for those in the know. What can be used as an outbound sparkler? That is what is a great non caving side trip. My first thought and favorite would be to do the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge RR. Spend the night at Silverton either at the hostel or camping. However this means a lot of time sitting in a seat in a motor coach, about 500 miles. What similar sparklers are there in the Ely area. Maybe something between Salt Lake City and Ely. I have subscribed to the Facebook page and see there is a lot but I need someplace that would include camping or similar for Saturday night. Durango-Silverton http://www.durangotrain.com

Ideas please.
buddyh
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 44353
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Boy Scouts Baltimore Area Council

Postby amaddox » Sep 5, 2014 6:58 am

buddyh wrote:Things are moving and they are taking time but all lights are green. After checking locally, the VOA is on board. I reached out to the contact for Ely. The idea has been received well. There may even be a youth ambassador in the works. A lot of questions still pop up everyday. Resources are being investigated. But here is a question for those in the know. What can be used as an outbound sparkler? That is what is a great non caving side trip. My first thought and favorite would be to do the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge RR. Spend the night at Silverton either at the hostel or camping. However this means a lot of time sitting in a seat in a motor coach, about 500 miles. What similar sparklers are there in the Ely area. Maybe something between Salt Lake City and Ely. I have subscribed to the Facebook page and see there is a lot but I need someplace that would include camping or similar for Saturday night. Durango-Silverton http://www.durangotrain.com

Ideas please.

I'm glad this is coming together. This will be a big plug for outreaching to kids and getting them underground.
At this point, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to Convention or not. If I do, I'd like to spend a considerable amount of time with the Crew.

Allen
Allen Maddox
NSS Youth Group Liaison Committee, Chair

http://www.youcave.org/
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby leeboop » Sep 5, 2014 4:56 pm

Allen- At the risk of stroking a caver's ego, I think you're doing a great job so far. I think your priorities are on track, and you're taking steps to get to your goal. From my social media perspective, here are some ideas:

- Time and time again, the major grump that we see from former NSS members (who are very vocal about how horrible the NSS is-- in the NSS group on Facebook :doh: ) is that the NSS is elitist/not welcoming. I think that the "Grotto Greeter" idea-- having someone designated to welcome new faces at grotto meetings-- is essential. Whenever someone shows up to a grotto meeting, I make it a point to shake their hand, ask them why they've come, invite them on a trip if I can, and make sure that they get a copy of the NSS News to look through. I also pull out my smartphone and show them the links at caves.org for responsible caving, or whatever they said they were interested in. This is a bit off topic, I know, but I think it's important because many people are looking for activities to do with their kids, and that's why they go to a grotto meeting. Bringing it back, keep up the welcoming, supportive attitude and we'll continue to attract younger cavers.

- I know you're active on Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook-- I don't know to what extent you search for hashtags like #youthgroup, #caving, #scouts, etc., but I think that it may be beneficial to reach out to people using these hashtags and promote your website directly to them. To some extent, the Social Media Committee does this, but it might mean more coming from you. And of course, continue building your team of regional coordinators so that they can find a contact on your website and get a quick reply.

- What kind of feedback do you get about your website? It seems that there is a variety of rich information available-- is it enough? Too much? Are more details needed?

- I'm sure that you do this, but I think that empowering your participants is essential. Show them techniques and then let them show others. This is preparing the next generation of leaders!

Thanks for all your hard work! As always, let me know how to help!
Lee Boop (NSS #59401)
NSS Social Media Committee Goddess/Chairman
email me with suggestions, constructive criticism, and offers to join the Social Media team: socialmedia@caves.org
http://www.caves.org/committee/sm/
leeboop
Frequent Poster

Name: Lee Boop
NSS #: 59401
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Connecticut Grotto

Postby amaddox » Sep 5, 2014 6:51 pm

leeboop wrote:Allen- At the risk of stroking a caver's ego, I think you're doing a great job so far. I think your priorities are on track, and you're taking steps to get to your goal. From my social media perspective, here are some ideas:

- Time and time again, the major grump that we see from former NSS members (who are very vocal about how horrible the NSS is-- in the NSS group on Facebook :doh: ) is that the NSS is elitist/not welcoming. I think that the "Grotto Greeter" idea-- having someone designated to welcome new faces at grotto meetings-- is essential. Whenever someone shows up to a grotto meeting, I make it a point to shake their hand, ask them why they've come, invite them on a trip if I can, and make sure that they get a copy of the NSS News to look through. I also pull out my smartphone and show them the links at caves.org for responsible caving, or whatever they said they were interested in. This is a bit off topic, I know, but I think it's important because many people are looking for activities to do with their kids, and that's why they go to a grotto meeting. Bringing it back, keep up the welcoming, supportive attitude and we'll continue to attract younger cavers.

- I know you're active on Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook-- I don't know to what extent you search for hashtags like #youthgroup, #caving, #scouts, etc., but I think that it may be beneficial to reach out to people using these hashtags and promote your website directly to them. To some extent, the Social Media Committee does this, but it might mean more coming from you. And of course, continue building your team of regional coordinators so that they can find a contact on your website and get a quick reply.

- What kind of feedback do you get about your website? It seems that there is a variety of rich information available-- is it enough? Too much? Are more details needed?

- I'm sure that you do this, but I think that empowering your participants is essential. Show them techniques and then let them show others. This is preparing the next generation of leaders!

Thanks for all your hard work! As always, let me know how to help!

Lee, Sometime I'd like to sit with you and go over this in detail. I like your ideas and the direction they would go. Philly grotto does a pretty good job of making newbies welcome. There are several of us who spend time with them at meetings. While I don't always make the meetings, I've committed myself to run beginner trips every month. It does work and we are getting new blood in our Grotto, and these new folks are fantastic to hang out with.
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby leeboop » Sep 11, 2014 11:03 am

I'd like to sit with you and go over this in detail.

I just sent you a PM on Facebook. :-)
Lee Boop (NSS #59401)
NSS Social Media Committee Goddess/Chairman
email me with suggestions, constructive criticism, and offers to join the Social Media team: socialmedia@caves.org
http://www.caves.org/committee/sm/
leeboop
Frequent Poster

Name: Lee Boop
NSS #: 59401
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Connecticut Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Sep 11, 2014 11:17 pm

leeboop wrote:- Time and time again, the major grump that we see from former NSS members (who are very vocal about how horrible the NSS is-- in the NSS group on Facebook :doh: ) is that the NSS is elitist/not welcoming. I think that the "Grotto Greeter" idea-- having someone designated to welcome new faces at grotto meetings-- is essential. Whenever someone shows up to a grotto meeting, I make it a point to shake their hand, ask them why they've come, invite them on a trip if I can, and make sure that they get a copy of the NSS News to look through. I also pull out my smartphone and show them the links at caves.org for responsible caving, or whatever they said they were interested in. This is a bit off topic, I know, but I think it's important because many people are looking for activities to do with their kids, and that's why they go to a grotto meeting. Bringing it back, keep up the welcoming, supportive attitude and we'll continue to attract younger cavers.

Just throwing in my two cents, I totally agree with Lee here. This subject has come up regularly over the years. I recall discussions like this as far back as when this forum started in 2005, but I'm sure cavers struggled with this even before the internet came along.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Previous

Return to Youth Groups Forum