Missouri Convention

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Missouri Convention

Postby Caving Guru » Aug 18, 2014 10:11 am

I hope that what is happening in Missouri right now with the National Guard being called and all, does not effect the convention next year.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Missouri Convention

Postby caverdan » Aug 18, 2014 11:24 am

the short answer is........NO. :funny post:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Caving Guru » Aug 18, 2014 12:57 pm

caverdan wrote:the short answer is........NO. :funny post:

I don't think that we can say 100% no right now for sure. The short answer is more like "we shall see what happens".
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Aug 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Caving Guru wrote:I hope that what is happening in Missouri right now with the National Guard being called and all, does not effect the convention next year.

Are you implying it isn't safe to visit Missouri right now because the police are shooting unarmed citizens? You probably don't need to worry unless you're a black teenager. Also, I don't think there are many caves in Ferguson.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby caverdan » Aug 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Extremeophile wrote:
Caving Guru wrote:I hope that what is happening in Missouri right now with the National Guard being called and all, does not effect the convention next year.

Are you implying it isn't safe to visit Missouri right now because the police are shooting unarmed citizens? You probably don't need to worry unless you're a black teenager. Also, I don't think there are many caves in Ferguson.

Nor is it anywhere near Ferguson......and how many months away is it??? I will 100%.... stick with my first answer. :argue:

How do you see it affecting convention? :shrug:
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caving Guru » Aug 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Extremeophile wrote:

Extremeophile, I was not implying anything. I simply meant what I said. I hadn't really thought at all really beyond what I said. The only thing that I really had in my mind when I wrote what I wrote was that Ferguson was in the same state as the convention next year.

Edit (added after my reply to Trogman): And just to specify, I was not implying that "it isn't safe to visit Missouri right now because the police are shooting unarmed citizens". Maybe you didn't hear the news this morning, Extremeophile, but the National Guard was not called to Ferguson, Missouri because of "police shooting unarmed citizens" as you put it. The National Guard was called because all of the African Americans in Ferguson and the African Americans from other cities and states had joined the African Americans in Ferguson in protesting, looting stores in Ferguson, and shooting at police, throwing fire bombs at police, throwing rocks at police, and throwing molotov cocktails at police. I assume that all of these police officers were white and that all of these protesters were African American. If I was to go to Ferguson, Missouri for example, I would not be worried at all about the white police officers. The people that I would be worried about would be the African American protesters who might possibly take their anger out on white people. I just hope that these racial tensions don't spread.
Last edited by Caving Guru on Aug 18, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Aug 18, 2014 2:37 pm

caverdan wrote:
Extremeophile wrote:

Nor is it anywhere near Ferguson......and how many months away is it??? I will 100%.... stick with my first answer. :argue:

142 miles, according to Google maps.
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Caving Guru » Aug 18, 2014 2:41 pm

caverdan wrote:
Extremeophile wrote:

Caver Dan, like I said above addressed to Extremeophile, I really did not think in depth at all like you guys thought I was. I simply saw on the news this morning that the National Guard was being called for this town in Missouri and I remembered that the convention next year was being held in Missouri. I obviously do not want what is happening to effect the convention. I really have no idea how close Ferguson is to where the convention is but I could probably figure it out if I really wanted to. You guys on Cave Chat make me think a lot deeper than I originally intend to think. It just came to my mind so I made a new topic. I am sorry that I created a new topic and said what I said. I don't want people getting mad at me. My intention was never to get people mad. I simply was just typing what came to my mind with no thought outside of what I wrote, really.

I don't know exactly how it could effect the convention. I was simply stating what I originally stated with no thoughts outside my original post.
Last edited by Caving Guru on Aug 18, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caving Guru » Aug 18, 2014 2:42 pm

trogman wrote:142 miles, according to Google maps.

I was still writing my post above before I saw this post that you made, Trogman.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Aug 18, 2014 3:24 pm

Ferguson is a suburb of St Louis. Waynesville is a small town next to a military base.....142 miles away. The convention isn't till next year and this incident will be long over by then. Seriously....no need to worry about side effects.

When I clicked on the thread.....I thought I was going to read something cool about the upcomimg convention. Your thoughts are so far out in right field, I couldn't help myself to respond. I appologize for that.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caving Guru » Aug 18, 2014 3:27 pm

caverdan wrote:Ferguson is a suburb of St Louis. Waynesville is a small town next to a military base.....142 miles away. The convention isn't till next year and this incident will be long over by then. Seriously....no need to worry about side effects.

When I clicked on the thread.....I thought I was going to read something cool about the upcomimg convention. Your thoughts are so far out in right field, I couldn't help myself to respond. I appologize for that.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a downer or anything. There is no need for you to apologize. It was pretty much all me.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 20, 2014 2:26 pm

Man, I haven't laughed this hard since I was a little girl.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caving Guru » Aug 20, 2014 5:05 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Man, I haven't laughed this hard since I was a little girl.

Yeah, I guess I am pretty good at making people laugh unintentionally.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 20, 2014 5:25 pm

Just the whole tone of the thread was good for a laugh. This entire situation is about 35 minutes north of me and I work there fairly frequently. Have no fear. St Louis could have martial law and it wont effect the convention in waynesville.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mudduck » Aug 21, 2014 8:20 pm

hmmm :question:
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Next