Facebook posting about Robin Williams' movie

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Facebook posting about Robin Williams' movie

Postby Phil Winkler » Aug 13, 2014 4:15 pm

With the passing of Robin Williams I recalled that the NSS is listed among the credits at the end of the movie The Dead Poet's Society which was filmed in Delaware in 1989. An advance man for the film was staying at the Wilmington Hilton where my sister, Debe, was Director of Sales. The guy asked if he could rent a printer while in town and she said her brother (me) was a computer consultant and could provide one. He then asked if there were any caves in the area and she laughed and said her brother was also a caver so we could ask him. I showed him the nearby Beaver Valley Cave (Delaware's only cave) and it is shown in the movie as the kids come down the hill and stand in front of the entrance. The interior cave shots were dummied up in a warehouse in Wilmington as the cave doesn't have much of an interior. He asked if he could pay me for the time and I just asked him to include the NSS in the credits which he did.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Re: Facebook posting about Robin Williams' movie

Postby Mudduck » Aug 13, 2014 8:14 pm

cool story. Makes me want to watch the movie again:)
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 14, 2014 5:07 am

Nice story, Phil. I saw a FB posting by a guy I went to grad school with at UNC. He was in Chapel Hill during the filming of the movie "Patch Adams." He bumped into a Robin Williams at a coffee shop. Lot of nice memories have come out with the loss of Robin Williams.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Cheryl Jones » Aug 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:With the passing of Robin Williams I recalled that the NSS is listed among the credits at the end of the movie The Dead Poet's Society which was filmed in Delaware in 1989. An advance man for the film was staying at the Wilmington Hilton where my sister, Debe, was Director of Sales. The guy asked if he could rent a printer while in town and she said her brother (me) was a computer consultant and could provide one. He then asked if there were any caves in the area and she laughed and said her brother was also a caver so we could ask him. I showed him the nearby Beaver Valley Cave (Delaware's only cave) and it is shown in the movie as the kids come down the hill and stand in front of the entrance. The interior cave shots were dummied up in a warehouse in Wilmington as the cave doesn't have much of an interior. He asked if he could pay me for the time and I just asked him to include the NSS in the credits which he did.

:kewl:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Phil Winkler » Aug 17, 2014 8:42 pm

There was a local story here where Robin appeared at the Grand Opera House here on short notice because he needed to rehearse working in front of a live audience the next week in New York. The show was dynamite. The next evening he was in line at the movies in Christiana Mall with his son and was recognized. He then did an impromptu comedy act that bewitched everyone in line. They almost didn't want to go in to the movie. You gotta love stories like that.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum