mod delete

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

mod delete

Postby bennettbike » Aug 5, 2014 11:46 pm

mod delete
Last edited by bennettbike on Sep 1, 2014 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: Ellisons- A U-Turn, 2 university students would have liv

Postby graveleye » Aug 6, 2014 7:40 am

who knows man. Maybe you could have prevented their deaths and maybe not. Too many variables and what-ifs to pin it all on one decision to turn around, or a guide giving them directions to the cave. The kids who died were making decisions too. Poor decisions, unfortunately.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby KENTO » Aug 7, 2014 8:03 am

Don't waste time on the guilty what ifs? These kids were very bent on trying caving without first seeking out Cavers to help them adapt their limited climbing experience. They were not honest in their approach to the people who gave them directions either, else they might have telegraphed their lack of experience and been given a lecture they might have processed, thereby living to grow a little wiser. I fear they were showing off to their girlfriends along for the ride, sad to say.
It is always difficult to assess what another group may or may not have in those rucksacks everyone is carrying on their back when crossing paths out in the wilderness. Tenfoot tall & Bulletproof young men don't make it back from alot of outings, no matter the clues along the way telling them they ought to pull a U-turn also
My friend Anmar, Shibumi here on Cave Chat was nearby for a regional NCRC meeting and they were called out to retrieve the bodies. There may be an account of this elsewhere, still archived.
KENTO
Prolific Poster

NSS #: #18,986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BloomingtonIndiana Grotto

Postby BrianFrank » Aug 8, 2014 9:20 pm

Bennettbike, appreciate your candor. Another thought hit me, you could have been caught up in the tragedy yourself. If you showed up right after they were tangled up in the cold water you guys may have taken serious risks to save them and it could have been a 3 or 4 person accident. God may have directed you somewhere else on purpose. I also hope you do not worry about the what ifs.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Aug 11, 2014 9:46 pm

Their souls are at peace. You can pray for their families if you are struggling to find closure. I remember you telling me this story the first time I went caving with you. Just learn to let it go. One day at a time, buddy.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Postby bennettbike » Aug 16, 2014 11:20 pm

Good point BrianFrank, good point. I was more like... wow i met the friend of a guide that gave the directions to where i was headed but didnt. Just odd sruff.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Postby bennettbike » Aug 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Josh, when I was telling you about this is why I made the post. You all missed the point, its ironic.
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum