Caves in Italy (specifically Tuscany)

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Caves in Italy (specifically Tuscany)

Postby AMF » Jul 25, 2014 9:01 am

I recently returned from a trip to Tuscany (simply stunning!). It kind of reminded me of a cross between Greenbrier Co, WV and the high Guads (except for all the grapes and olive groves!). Lots of rolling pasture and sheep (still herded with dogs!), and areas of dry spiky woods with limestone bones showing. In general, a lot of limestone. While I did spend a little time poking about on hillsides and near springs, that wasn't my primary goal there. However, I was wondering if anyone has had or knows of any wild caving there? Iv'e poked about on the interweb and haven't come up with much.

amf

Edit to add that I have found references to several large and deep caves north of where I was (Siena area). I'm more thinking of your average run-of-the-mill cave. The ones you find in your search for "the big one". With all the limestone in the area, it just seemed puzzling not to have come across some.
AMF
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 17132
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philly

Re: Caves in Italy (specifically Tuscany)

Postby LukeM » Jul 25, 2014 11:59 am

I came across a few obvious caves while hiking in the hills above Capezzano near Camaiore. Unfortunately I didn't explore very far in them since I didn't have any caving gear. The Apuan Alps in general are known for having lots of caves, and there are a few commercial caves around. It sounds like this is far north of where you were. There was a caving club I tried to hook up with while I was there but I can't seem to find the name now.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Re: Caves in Italy (specifically Tuscany)

Postby Scintilena » Aug 1, 2014 7:51 am

Hallo, I'm writing from Italy and my English is poor and bad. Tuscany is an italian region with important caves in limestone, expecially in the northwest area, between Lucca and Massa Carrara, in a group of mountains called "Alpi Apuane". This area has the deepest caves of Italy (Abisso paolo Roversi -1350mt.) and other caves that measure also -1000 meters, I think 10, 15 caves with this deep inside.
The most large cave system of this area in the Corchia Mounth, whith the Corchia cave sistem, deep -1100 I remember, and almost 54km long. Untill 3 years ago, Corchia was the longest cave in Italy.
In this moment, a group of italian cavers is approach to explore the last depest pit of Abisso Paolo Roversi, with a next cave diver immersion at the unexplorate sifon at -1350mt. At the moment, they has put rope and other until the deep of -600 meters.

In Alpi Apuane many caves are at rish of distruction, because all the area is used for extraction of marble that is excellent for quality. Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci, Raffaello and the best artist in over the world make their sculpture with this marble: Il David di Donatello, la Pietà di Michelangelo and other treasure was extract from the mounth near this caves. Now marble is used like with colour in toothpaste, detergent and other beauty products, bat also in the Cina Area for building.

You can consul the Tuscany caves Archive at this page: http://www.speleotoscana.it/programmi_p ... o/menu.php
You can see any news about Tuscany caves on: http://www.scintilena.com/category/regi ... a-regioni/

best regards.
Andrea Scatolini
www.scintilena.com
Scintilena
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum