Hello from Kansas

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello from Kansas

Postby jhoski » Jul 16, 2014 9:57 pm

I'm sort of a newbie having to travel to Alabaster Caverns in Oklahoma for any public caves, hoping for more opportunities to come to light in my home state.
jhoski
Infrequent Poster

Re: Hello from Kansas

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 17, 2014 4:44 am

Welcome to CaveChat! :waving:

For "show" caves, here's a link to caves in the midwest:
http://cavern.com/Directory/default.asp?r=midwest

For "wild" caving, here's a link to local chapters (called "grottos") of the NSS:
http://www.nssio.org/find_grotto_overview.cfm?state=KS

They'll be your best resource.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby jhoski » Jul 17, 2014 10:00 am

I have emailed the Kansas grotto two times, once a month ago and another a week ago and have not received a reply.
jhoski
Infrequent Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Howdy!
I first posted to Cavechat in frustration a few years back after emails and phone calls to various cavers from five grottos were entirely ignored. I mistakenly assumed the worst, that "cavers" were too elite to do anything for someone new. That's not the case, but a little patience may be needed. A few tips from my own experience:

Be aware that many grotto websites are poorly-maintained relics of a pre-facebook age. Contact links may lead to dead addresses etc. The more honest information you give about yourself, your location, and your experience, the better. Attempts to impress the holders of spelean knowledge with exaggerations and proclamations of noble intent don't help. Don't give up. Put out a ton of emails, and augment persistent nagging with your own hard work; searching for caves through impersonal online means and physical ridgewalking.

What county are you in? From the scant resources I have at hand, I know that caves exist in Bourbon, Butler, Barber, Cowley, Mongomery, and Woodson Counties. I have no details, but I will PM a couple of email addresses for Kansas cavers.

Have fun!
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jhoski » Jul 17, 2014 4:59 pm

I live in Reno county, thanks for the info!
jhoski
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions