Plan View Feedback

Techniques, equipment and issues. Also visit the NSS Survey & Cartography Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Plan View Feedback

Postby caver.adam » Jul 8, 2014 7:52 pm

I'm looking for some constructive feedback on a recent plan view I did as part of my learning to take book. The profile and cross sections were done on another book. Just looking to learn more about plan view sketching on this post.

https://app.box.com/s/i2zopvccenrrujmiibsy

caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Re: Plan View Feedback

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 8, 2014 8:42 pm

Looks pretty good to me. I'm certainly no expert sketcher but I have made enough mistakes myself to recognize a few things that might save someone some bother later on. I think some things depend on whether you or someone else is drafting the map. For example, if I was drawing a map from your notes I would wonder if those little marks in the SE section of the larger room meant anything, I would assume that the dotted line with arrow is a trickle of water, but I wouldn't know where it was going. I would also assume that the two blobs next to the trickle are islands of bedrock, but that's not abundantly clear from the sketch. I usually lightly shade such areas to avoid later confusion. The fact that you've used arrows to indicate slope makes me wonder if the arrows on the eastern end of the sketch are water or slope, and again, if it's water, where is it going? And, it's much easier for me to avoid mistakes when each station is clearly labeled.

Maybe that sounds like a lot, but it's all minor stuff. If you are the one drawing the map, and you do so soon after the survey, most of these points don't matter.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 9, 2014 8:48 am

Oh, and your ceiling ledge/dome symbol appears to be backwards. The leg of the T should point toward the lower ceiling.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caver.adam » Jul 9, 2014 10:20 am

Saw that the dome was backwards.

The arrows for slope were because I couldn't fit the \|/ marks in the one foot wide. I will be carefull with this issue in the future. Thanks.

The floor is smooth mud over breakdown so the stream suddenly disappears and then re-appears on the east side of the room. It then passes into a small crack on the eastern wall. In the two times I've been there the stream has been itermittent. I will need to work on showing that more clearly.

The two blobs on the eastern side of the room are in fact large slabs of bedrock above the mud floor.

Marking station names will be easy enough to do next time.

My other issue is that this is just one level of the cave. There is a lower level of cave passage that is not marked on this sketch. That is where some of the water in the eastern part of the map goes.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Jul 9, 2014 10:35 am

GroundquestMSA wrote:Oh, and your ceiling ledge/dome symbol appears to be backwards. The leg of the T should point toward the lower ceiling.

I noticed a map in the NSS News a few months back that had this same issue. In every other respect it was a very nicely done map, seems like it was a sea cave in New Zealand, IIRC. The corresponding section view contradicted the tick marks for the ceiling ledge that were on the plan view.

One other minor point- "Chirt" should be spelled "Chert."

Overall the map is looking very good, especially for a sketch. My sketches are a mess, and nobody can interpret them except me. In fact, sometimes not even me. :big grin:

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Jul 10, 2014 7:34 am

mark your station names. Always.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Leclused » Jul 10, 2014 7:54 am

Very nice sketch indeed.

perhaps some small additions
- label your points (already mentioned)
- put you slope arrows in the map
- draw airflow indications (if there is any airflow) + add winter/summer regime to avoid misunderstanding later when airflow is in the other direction due to the season.
- add the name of the sketcher somewhere (perhaps you did it already together with the measurement data)

BR

Dagobert (Sc Avalon)
Last edited by Leclused on Jul 10, 2014 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby caver.adam » Jul 10, 2014 8:03 am

Thanks for the feedback. It's fun to work on learning more survey.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Leclused » Jul 10, 2014 8:27 am

I always draw plan and profile. Probably you did that too ?
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby caver.adam » Jul 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Profile and cross sections were done in another book at the same time.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Leclused » Jul 11, 2014 3:23 am

caver.adam wrote:Profile and cross sections were done in another book at the same time.

thumbs up :-) I think you are already pretty good in drawing maps :-)

BTW : Tomorrow I'm going digging in our newest discovery. Last time we mapped it (2 entrances, not yet connected physically only vocally ) about 50meter so far.

Compass drawing can be seen in the following report. Final drawing will be made by my caving buddy.

http://scavalon.blogspot.be/2014/07/sau ... essie.html
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby caver.adam » Jul 11, 2014 9:09 am

Nice!
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Survey and Cartography Forum