SINK HOLE

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

SINK HOLE

Postby turk1800 » Feb 27, 2014 7:57 pm

LOOKING FOR SOMTHING TO SUCK OUT ABOUT 15 FT OF LOOSE DAMP DIRT OUT OF MY SINK HOLE, DIAMETER TO SMALL TO GET IN OR FOR BACK HOE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON GETTING DIRT OUT?

turk1800
Infrequent Poster

Re: SINK HOLE

Postby LukeM » Feb 28, 2014 8:14 am

A typical dig would involve shoring up the walls with something like a culvert pipe and then removing fill the old fashioned way - with hand tools and buckets and a group of energetic hands. A big tripod on the surface would provide a good attachment point for a haul system.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby gindling » Feb 28, 2014 9:14 am

There is a guy, Jeff Williams, that has a series of videos on YouTube about gold mining and he uses some sort of bucket with a shopvac attached to it and vacuums up placer dirt out of stream banks. Maybe something you can use?
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Postby trogman » Feb 28, 2014 1:31 pm

Whenever I am trying to open up a hole like that, I just dig and let the dirt fall where it may. My logic is: if the cave/pit below isn't deep and large enough to allow the dirt to drop out of the way, then I probably don't need to fool with it anyway.

That's just me, though. And maybe that is more applicable to TAG, where just about everything open to the surface is a pit.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby turk1800 » Mar 1, 2014 7:54 pm

YES YOU CANT GET DOWN THERE TO DIG ITS 15 FT DEEP, ITS VERY SMALL IN DIAMITER ABOUT AS ROUND AS A 5 GALLON BUCKET, SOLID ROUNDED ROCK LIKE IT HAS HAD ALOT OF WATER IN IT ,I WILL LOOK INTO VACUM THANKS, TURK[
turk1800
Infrequent Poster

Return to Equipment Forum