Hellhole Article from 1957

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Hellhole Article from 1957

Postby PatB » Feb 24, 2014 7:05 pm

A friend in my hometown shared with me a newspaper article from 1957 about a death in Hellhole. For all of those out there that take an interest in old news, I hope you find this interesting. There's two pages.
Also, on the front page, is an article about the "Annual Labor Day Reunion", when it was in Franklin. Maybe there's some COOTers out there that will recognize some of the names and reminisce.
This is my first attempt in posting a JPEG; you'll have to use your zoom to read the article. Maybe someone out there can give me a better idea on a my posting technique.
Enjoy.

PatB
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 45###RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Western Maryland Grotto

Re: Hellhole Article from 1957

Postby NSS8921 » Feb 25, 2014 8:29 am

Pat, your post is fine. And very interesting - thanks for this bit of history!
NSS8921
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 8921
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Re: Hellhole Article from 1957

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Feb 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Cliff Forman, who is mentioned in the newspaper article, later went on to open a commercial cave in Chattanooga, TN called Mystic Caverns. It was only open about two years. Then he opened another commercial cave in West Virginia which is still open as The Lost World. Very nice cave, also with a vertical entrance.

Last I heard, Cliff is still alive and well. I think he spends part of his time in New York and part in Hawaii.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum