sink hole

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

sink hole

Postby turk1800 » Feb 3, 2014 10:17 am

[

this appeared one day about a yr ago, its in the back of my property one month it wasn't there the next it was, its about 15 ft deep, ive found thousands of cave crickets lining the walls inside the dirt in the bottom is lose cold and damp even though were in a drought no rain in close to a 6 months. its only a small diameter a little less that the size of a 55 gallon barrel. im in southwest corner of Williamson county texas.
turk1800
Infrequent Poster

sink hole/ cave??

Postby turk1800 » Feb 3, 2014 12:55 pm

here's some better pics found about a yr ago one month it wasn't there next month it was, what do you think 15 ft deep not very big around southwest corner Williamson county Texas
turk1800
Infrequent Poster

Re: sink hole

Postby cmkit » Feb 5, 2014 11:18 am

You comment on the dirt in the bottom. Did you climb down there? The hole looks pretty unstable from your pictures. Is there any air flow in or out of the hole? Without airflow going in or out of the hole I wouldn't expect too much in terms of cave passage.
Grotto locator and kml files: http://cmkit.blogspot.com/
cmkit
Infrequent Poster

Name: Carlin Kartchner
NSS #: 60593

Postby l lambert » Feb 5, 2014 11:28 am

Looks good to me! Really only one way to find out if it does something. Looks stable from here. :big grin: What kind of limestone do you have under you? Good luck with it.
l lambert
Prolific Poster

Postby b4caving2day » Feb 22, 2014 5:53 pm

I'd rather enlarge shaft and provide collapse-arrest. Latter could be braced 4x4 treated wood timbers or
steel culvert pipe diameter up to four feet. Extra expense and work, yes. Safer, yes. Have I done it, yes.
b4caving2day
Infrequent Poster

Postby turk1800 » Feb 23, 2014 9:39 pm

there is air flow from bottom right, a mouse comes out from under that rock on bottom right that's were air flow is, its solid rock all way down about 15ft of lose cold dirt is laying down there, hole is to small in diameter to get in , and for backhoe, need large vacuum or something like to suck out lose dirt
turk1800
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caver Introductions