New Grivel Double Gate Carabiners

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

New Grivel Double Gate Carabiners

Postby driggs » Feb 5, 2014 12:34 pm

Grivel just released a new line of carabiners for 2014 featuring double opposing gates. Could this design bridge the murky territory where cavers are torn between locking vs non-locking 'biners (pack tethers, cowstails)?

Perhaps they help to fill out the connector spectrum: non-locker < double-gate < auto-lock < screwgate < screwlink

This five minute video demonstrates their potential advantage over non-locking carabiners... and some slightly contrived advantages over screwgate lockers:

Of particular note for cavers are the following two models:

Sigma K8G - lightweight 'biner with solid bent keylock gate and opposing wiregate

Lambda K7G - HMS style 'biner with solid bent keylock gate and opposing wiregate

These aren't the first double-gate carabiners on the market (the Rock Exotica Biwire was previously discussed on CaveChat), but they're the first I've seen with doubled opposing gates.

I'm very curious to see how they hold up to caving use. Some obvious questions remain to be answered:

- How easily can the double-gate be opened with a muddy, gloved hand?

- Will the changed ergonomics of the gate opening allow it to easily and quickly clip in and out of a bolt hanger, traverse line, rebelay loop?

- When will someone produce a light, strong, small, autolocker, able to withstand the stickiest mud bath, and at a pricepoint below a 12-pack of beer?!
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Re: New Grivel Double Gate Carabiners

Postby hunter » Feb 5, 2014 4:17 pm

Huh! Thanks for the post Dave. I can't find these for sale yet but I'll be curious to play with one when they come out. I have a couple climbing situations I'd like to have one or two of these around for if the clipping motion proves to be easy. Not sure about caving though, I'm a bit worried about opening and snagging the gate when going through really tight stuff.

James
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rlboyce » Feb 5, 2014 5:05 pm

That dude's facial expressions are awesome!
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby driggs » Feb 6, 2014 10:05 am

I checked with Liberty Mountain, a US distributor of Grivel products, regarding availability of these new carabiners:

Curtis Cordery, Liberty Mountain Customer Service wrote:We are planning on having the new 2014 Grivel products available in the United States coming this fall.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Return to On Rope!