$10,000 REWARD RELATING TO CARBIDE BOMB

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: $10,000 REWARD RELATING TO CARBIDE BOMB

Postby Ernie Coffman » Dec 13, 2013 9:41 pm

I used to use a fuse with nitro 35% bubblegum, also. That really makes a big bang!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Dec 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Ediger had a carbide bag go off in his hand on Padre Island in 1971 or so that fractured his ear drum. It prevented him from flying his chopper when he went to Vietnam and he was returned to Ft Sam for a skin graft on his ear drum. I set one off in Holloch down the passage from Bivouac II on New Years Eve in 1977. It exploded safely with a fuse. Simply put, they are dangerous and can cause serious harm.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby mostlytree » Dec 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Respectfully, you just took a whole lot of time typing this only to show you have no clue what you are talking about.[/quote]

because you put respectfully in front of it, does not make it respectful. I do not understand your culture, and was offering what this looks like from the outside. what I do understand is the chemistry behind your bags of expanding gas. these are stupid and people can loose eardrums if they are close enough, but I maintain that the terrorist task force does not care about this. my hope is that I would some day get to meet many of you face to face, because we are doing something fun, which you all enjoy and I hope to someday try. Caving sounds like fun, even if a few of of these get set off. hopefully everyone here can learn to respect these things a bit more, and afford each other a bit more love and respect in general.
mostlytree
Infrequent Poster

Postby caverdan » Dec 15, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks guys for helping me understand the makeup of this device. Sounds like a forest fire to me. :big grin: We're more into the dry ice and potato gun noise makers at our caver parties. Incenerary devices that start forest fires are never a good thing.

Like I said before. Maybe the threat of a reward right up front will help you prevent this type of behavior in the future. :yikes:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 16, 2013 6:52 pm

mostlytree wrote:
Respectfully, you just took a whole lot of time typing this only to show you have no clue what you are talking about.

because you put respectfully in front of it, does not make it respectful. I do not understand your culture, and was offering what this looks like from the outside. what I do understand is the chemistry behind your bags of expanding gas. these are stupid and people can loose eardrums if they are close enough, but I maintain that the terrorist task force does not care about this. my hope is that I would some day get to meet many of you face to face, because we are doing something fun, which you all enjoy and I hope to someday try. Caving sounds like fun, even if a few of of these get set off. hopefully everyone here can learn to respect these things a bit more, and afford each other a bit more love and respect in general.

The culture is simple, as is the setting of the "bombing" ;)

The TAG Fall Cave In is a party, put on by a grotto. Lots of cavers and im sure a few non cavers who just want to party, show up to have a party. Afterall, 900-1200 people camping in a camp ground is going to lead to some wild partying by some. Copious amounts of alcohol are usually consumed, which usually results in poor decision making abilities. Lots of drunken idiots, or sober idiots, decided it would be fun to make something go boom. Unfortunately the Jack tards set their bomb up next to my camp site, and some unlucky dude chose to drive over what looked like a black bag of trash at 3:30 in the morning.

the result was a damaged car, traumatized passengers, and a pissed off me.. :D

Its not really a culture thing. Its a stupidity thing. Idiocracy is alive and well. :)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby eyecave » Feb 1, 2014 11:45 pm

well.......currently ,at the very very least, the segment of our culture who like large explosive sound finds themselves at an increased level of detection...and now they also have become a target at future events for people who could use 10,000 bucks.......

my mos was 11E40, tanker crewman......so, i like explosives and such stuff as much as any red-blooded american redneck......however; there is really no place for such devices anywhere near people..WHEN PEOPLE ARE NOT AWARE OF THEM........i like carbide bombs...to illustrate..i have visualized what size carbide bomb would displace enough air to knock nearby people down....BUT placing them where they can be encountered by UNSUSPECTING passerbys is over a line......... hearing damage, eye injuries, property damage and the unseen damage to nearby landowner relations risks are too great..........two suggestions:

1...grow the f up and stop acting so juvenile....
2...controlled location, timing, and number of devices between the TAG staff and bombers....

one more comment.......brilliant.......placing such a large reward......brilliant.......if i were the bomber..or a team member...that money would make me realize the risk ain't worth the reward....
eyecave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: sewanee mountain grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Feb 2, 2014 1:12 am

Eyecave you're right on the money with your two suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to write what you did. As I've written before about damage to ears and eyes is taking a whole lot of fun out of caving...SAR...and just in general. Every morning when I don't place my aides in, my wife is nagging me because of my hearing loss, so...that's no fun and I know where she's coming from. Like she says, she can hear a mouse fart. On my side of that comment, what's a fart? I can't even hear my own, I don't believe. <grin>
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby eyecave » Feb 2, 2014 8:50 pm

most humans can subvert personal selfishness for cultural selfishness.....TAG's carbide bombers were unable to......
eyecave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby eyecave » Feb 2, 2014 9:00 pm

" she can hear a mouse fart. On my side of that comment, what's a fart? I can't even hear my own, I don't believe. <grin>[/quote]"""""".........laws are necessary and the inevitable abuse of that as a consequence, because of the actions of a few who don't value cultural boundaries.... :sadbanana: :rofl: :down: :shhh: ..
eyecave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum