In need of a diver

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

In need of a diver

Postby gindling » Dec 13, 2013 10:27 am

After pumping well over 6,000 gallons of water out of a sump to not have it lower at all, we are in need of a diver. The sump is located in a 40ft pit at the base of a 50ft cliff and is 200ft from the parking area, easy access. The water level does not fluctuate over the year except at high flood when the water gets pushed 70ft vertically up the pit and into the canyon. The cave is located near the Wyoming/Montana border if there are any divers interested. Over 2,000ft of limestone above the cave. We would really like to know what is on the other side.

gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Re: In need of a diver

Postby FW » Dec 13, 2013 5:16 pm

I am interested, but that is a long way for me. Jason Richards is in Washington state, but deployed overseas right now. I will check for a closer sump diver for you.
Any opinions are personal.
FW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Forrest Wilson
NSS #: 16631
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 13, 2013 9:06 pm

What's the water temperature?
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

In need of a diver

Postby Ernie Coffman » Dec 13, 2013 9:55 pm

There's a new cave diver whose done a lot of diving in Mexico caves, so I'll let him know; and, this might be a way of getting him into other things. I put a notice out in the WVG, but no takers, so far. Thanks for posting and we'll see what we can come up with.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Dec 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Here are the rest of Ivan's qualifications, which I forgot to mention before:
I have been certified as a cave diver since 2009 and have about 90 cave dives under my belt with my most recent foray about a month ago to the underwater caves in Merritt’s mill pond in Mariana Florida. I did most of my training in Mexico where I was initially certified by IANTD as a cave diver. I am now also certified by TDI as a side mount cave diver.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 14, 2013 4:40 am

Ernie Coffman wrote:Here are the rest of Ivan's qualifications, which I forgot to mention before:
I have been certified as a cave diver since 2009 and have about 90 cave dives under my belt with my most recent foray about a month ago to the underwater caves in Merritt’s mill pond in Mariana Florida. I did most of my training in Mexico where I was initially certified by IANTD as a cave diver. I am now also certified by TDI as a side mount cave diver.

Ernie, there's a world of difference between Mexican caves and sumps. Maybe your pal, Ivan, is perfectly qualified---I don't know. But Mexican caves are as benign as they come. Sumps are as non-benign as they come.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Ernie Coffman » Dec 14, 2013 10:31 am

Don't know what to say. Just read what he wrote. He's not my pal, but a new NSS caver and diver, so maybe you can check him out. <grin>
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gindling » Dec 14, 2013 11:21 am

Water temp is a few degrees above freezing. But thats warmer than its been outside for a bit more than a week out here.

Thanks for all the responses, PM and otherwise, with help maybe we will find whats on the other side in the future.
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 14, 2013 11:33 am

gindling wrote:Water temp is a few degrees above freezing. But thats warmer than its been outside for a bit more than a week out here.

Thanks for all the responses, PM and otherwise, with help maybe we will find whats on the other side in the future.

I knew it would be cold! That's why I didn't volunteer. :-) If it were more like here in VA, I'd have offered. It's cold here, but, for me, bearable.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 14, 2013 11:37 am

Ernie Coffman wrote:Don't know what to say. Just read what he wrote. He's not my pal, but a new NSS caver and diver, so maybe you can check him out. <grin>

Some people can be rather condescending to new cave divers. He's almost got his Abe Davis Award and that's good. I have a lot of respect for cavers who take up cave diving. I think they really know what they're getting into. But divers who've only dived in FL or MX may not really appreciate what sumps are like. I'm not saying they're not qualified. They may be great. It's just that I wouldn't take it for granted that they "get" sumps.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby gindling » Dec 14, 2013 8:12 pm

I have nothing but respect for the large majority of divers I've met. I've always said that I wouldn't start diving until I was diagnosed with a terminal illness or they came up with some awesome attach-n-go gills! Though I do keep running into all these sumps...
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Hmmmmmm. If I could just develop a portable water heater that wouldn't disturb the silt and would warm the water all around me...... :woohoo:
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby firemedic1015 » Dec 14, 2013 10:29 pm

It sounds like you need a heated vest for under your drysuit!
firemedic1015
Occasional Poster

Name: Zeb Lilly
NSS #: 56382
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

In need of a diver

Postby Ernie Coffman » Dec 15, 2013 12:14 am

Personally, I don't believe the sump or the cave is going to disappear, so why not wait until Spring/Summer to do anything in this almost freezing cold water? :doh:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 15, 2013 7:10 am

firemedic1015 wrote:It sounds like you need a heated vest for under your drysuit!

What I need is a full face mask so that my lips and cheeks don't feel like they are being stabbed by daggers! The other problem is that the gloves to keep my hand functional in 50s degree water make it hard enough to run a reel. In the 30s, bleah! Nope, a personal warm water envelope, that's what I need! :-)

Sounds like this cave is wide open for you, Firemedic!
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Cave Diving Forum