Caving with systems

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Caving with systems

Postby CaverCSE » Dec 11, 2013 11:15 pm

A frog walker is far far less efficient at climbing and yet requires almost the same amount of gear..
CaverCSE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 49706
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Upper Cumberland Grotto and Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby Rivershredder » Dec 12, 2013 12:09 am

CaverCSE wrote:A frog walker is far far less efficient at climbing and yet requires almost the same amount of gear..

Right I understand that opinion, I was mostly curious in the design progression. It's a new take on hybrid systems. I like it.

Just wondering how it acts in a heel hang situation?
Rivershredder
Infrequent Poster

Name: Marc DiBiase
NSS #: 65395
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby CaverCSE » Dec 12, 2013 4:28 pm

It pretty much becomes a texas (or frog if you have a additional frog style chest ascender on too) if the chest roller were to fail. You can use the same system with a store bought chest roller too if you something more bomb proof then my home made roller.
CaverCSE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 49706
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Upper Cumberland Grotto and Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby Charlie » Dec 12, 2013 6:28 pm

I've actually been using Cinton's hybrid system for awhile now and I really couldn't be more impressed with it; It's handled every pit I've thrown at it with ease. The best thing about his system is the compact roller in my opinion. Another nice feature is the ability to go from a ropewalker to a texas almost instantly for those miserable lips. In a worse case scenario with the chest roller, in my experience in using his system you would not heel hang but just end up on a texas with the bungie still on the knew ascender. At that point you just take the bungie off and climb texas.
Charlie
Infrequent Poster

Name: Charlie
NSS #: 64910
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clayton County Cavers

Postby LukeM » Dec 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Clinton, do you think you could post a video of yourself using this system sometime? I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp what you're talking about, but I think it'd help to see it in action.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 13, 2013 4:56 pm

I have been using a system very similar to Clinton's for years. It's a Texas system using two handled ascenders with a foot loop attached to the lower. Then I can add a tiny chest roller (similar to Clinton's but better;-)), a foot cam, and a knee cam held up by a bungee that runs over my shoulder to make a very efficient ropewalker. I have used this for nearly everything you can think of. It works great.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby mostlytree » Dec 14, 2013 8:36 am

Haas is super light, small efficient, ergonomically correct and can be bought ready to go. its takes about the same amount of time to open the packages as if does to set up
it can be bought at tree stuff, https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=3535 and its as fast as a frog or rope walker,

if you hate it ill buy it back off you.
mostlytree
Infrequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 14, 2013 11:42 am

Michael, It would probably be better, and would get more exposure, if you started a new topic about the Haas system.

Have you ever used it in a cave? With a caving harness? Passed lips or rebelays?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby mostlytree » Dec 14, 2013 8:55 pm

thanks scott
, I started a haas. topic.
michael
mostlytree