Caving around San Francisco and or San Jose?

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Caving around San Francisco and or San Jose?

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Oct 6, 2006 1:28 am

Hey,

It seems I am going to the US this month (20 - 29th) for a conference in San Jose and I have got a couple of days to do something around the area, conference ends on the 25th and I fly out on the evening of the 29th.

So it would be REALLY great if I could link up with some cavers and get on a caving trip if one is happening at the time. :banana: :calvin: (never been to the US let alone caving there)
Are there any caves close around the area? (I don't know the area at all so it may be a silly question) If there are could you PM me with some email addresses of contacts, please :pray: :bow:

I had a look at the grottoes listed for California, there is a grotto in Sacramento but I was unsure whether the caves would be in range.

If caving is out of the question any suggestions on what to do and see?

Thanks Arrin,
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 6, 2006 7:04 am

Oh, man! I'm headed to Santa Barbara on Sunday. But I leave on Thursday to come back. Otherwise I'd try and hook up with you. Drats!

Good luck to you!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 6, 2006 7:14 am

I don't know about the caves out there, but a trip to Yosemite is well worth it. It's about 3 hours drive east from San Jose. And checking out the big trees in Sequoia is awesome too.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Sean Ryan » Oct 6, 2006 8:18 am

Sequioa has at least one show cave, Crystal. It was closed when I visited.

One really neat thing in San Jose is the Winchester mansion. Sarah Winchester thought she was being haunted by everyone ever killed with one of her family's rifles. The way she thought to quiet the spirits was to build a house - and never stop. This house was built for the next 20 or so years, without blueprints or advanced planning. Starcases go up into the ceiling. Doors open to dead ends. One door opens to a 12-foot-drop to the ground.

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lava » Oct 6, 2006 11:29 am

Unfortunately you'll have to drive a couple of hours to get to the caves from San Jose. I'd suggest caving in either Sequoia Natn'l Park or the Motherlode. In all likelihood you'll be underwhelmed by the caves we've got here. There aren't that many and the really good ones are either hard to get to or require a permit & key. I'd go, but it's my anniversary weekend, so I'm booked. PM me your email address and info, and I'll pass it on to the two bay area grotto mailing lists, SFBC and Diablo.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Re: Caving around San Francisco and or San Jose?

Postby Steven Johnson » Oct 6, 2006 2:11 pm

I'll post your request to the two local grotto mailing lists (SFBC in Mountain View, and Diablo in Oakland)... I don't specifically recall what trips might be scheduled for that weekend, but I'm guessing there will be no problem finding people interested in a caving trip!

Aside from a few small caves around Santa Cruz, there isn't much in the way of caves in the Bay Area; however, there are plenty within a 2-3 hour drive so a day trip is a good possibility. If you can spare a couple of days then trips to Kings Canyon / Sequoia are possible (but about a 5-6 hour drive from the Bay Area)

What is your background / experience and what sort of caving do you prefer?
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby Steven Johnson » Oct 6, 2006 3:17 pm

Lava wrote:PM me your email address and info, and I'll pass it on to the two bay area grotto mailing lists, SFBC and Diablo.

Doh! Sorry, I posted without noticing this bit... didn't mean to be redundant.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Tidbit

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 6, 2006 4:31 pm

Here's a resource that might be useful: a book, "Gems of the Golden State" by the Bosteds which is designed for people who want to see the caves in California. Try going to their website: http://www.cavepics.com .

There is a map of Calif. from the book showing the 15 best caves to visit and you can also buy the above mentioned book using Paypal. Also, there are photos from most of the caves. Some of them offer "wild" caving trips and supply the gear so FHM won't have to bring any from Oz, or worry about the clean up afterwards. The book lists phone numbers and web addresses for more info.

http://www.cavepics.com/html/gems.html
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Oct 8, 2006 9:59 pm

Thanks everybody for the replies that's great.

NZCaver has put me in contact with a guy who is trying to get me on a trip which is awesome! thanks NZ!

Steven I have replied to your PM. But for now I'll go with the contact NZ gave me. Thanks all the same
Bruce thanks for the offer

Yosemite sounds good! I was hoping to get around using public transport but we'll see what happens (I you see someone in a hire car driving down the wrong side of the road trying to change gears with the other hand give a honk it's probably me :rofl: :shock: )

The national parks sound just my thing. Winchester mansion sounds like fun I might have to look it up.

My preferances for caving? well I love vertical (as most who watch the "OnRope" section could testify) but basically I thought it would be great fun to go caving whilst I was over there so if I get underground I'll be over the moon. (pun unintended)
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby sfmere » Dec 10, 2013 6:06 pm

can anyone contact me with caving information or groups in the area!
sfmere
Infrequent Poster

Postby caver.adam » Dec 10, 2013 8:51 pm

I don't know any contacts back there anymore, but the CRF is your best bet for finding out about caves in that area (well, within 3 hours).
http://www.cave-research.org/index.php
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby caver.adam » Dec 10, 2013 8:53 pm

In California, be sure to mention up front any ways that you are certified or any major projects you've worked on. They tend to hold cave locations carefully in order to protect them. (My experience anyway).
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby Steven Johnson » Dec 10, 2013 10:02 pm

sfmere wrote:can anyone contact me with caving information or groups in the area!

Diablo Grotto (East Bay) is having its monthly meeting this Thursday evening in Oakland. PM me for details if you want time and directions. http://www.caves.org/grotto/diablo/

I think that SFBC (South Bay) is holding its holiday party on Saturday evening, but don't have details handy -- try http://www.sfbcgrotto.org
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Steven Johnson » Dec 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Oh, there's now also a third Bay Area grotto: Redwood Grotto (North Bay). I don't have meeting info handy, here's a link though: http://www.nssio.org/find_grotto_detail.cfm?gid=000473
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Open Talk Forum