Best Way to Collaborate on Cave Database

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Best Way to Collaborate on Cave Database

Postby rlboyce » Dec 7, 2013 4:20 pm

What is the best way to manage a cave knowledge between several individuals?

I am a part of a rag-tag group of cavers, where each individual has their own personal list of leads and cave knowledge. We're trying to combine our knowledge all into one master list or database, but don't know what the best way is. Not all of us are computer savvy, so the ideal solution would be a simple and easy to use tool. We'd really like to store our data as a series of placemarks, if possible, viewable in Google Maps or Google Earth.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Re: Best Way to Collaborate on Cave Database

Postby tncaver » Dec 8, 2013 7:35 am

PM sent with ideas.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caver.adam » Dec 8, 2013 2:02 pm

One thought because I know cavers...make sure you all know the rules regarding this information. It sounds silly, but you may want to write up a contract and have everyone that shares the information sign it.

I.E. All persons agree not to share the information outside the group without a majority vote. All persons agree to a monetary sum if this contract is broken.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby BryantG » Dec 8, 2013 8:55 pm

Get everyone to get g-mail and use google drive. It works great for organizing, sharing and editing by for the whole group. Everyone can upload their documents (maps, pictures) and organize them into folders. It's all very simple, easy to use and free. My grotto uses google drive to share pictures after trips as well as maps, survey notes etc. It has up to 15 GB of space which unless you're putting up a lot of video should be plenty.
BryantG
Infrequent Poster

Postby rlboyce » Dec 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and ideas! I appreciate all the PMs too. Fortunately, we found a generous caver who has set up a web-interface database system for his own state survey, and he has offered to let us use his program for our project.

You all have made great points, and many of these ideas I plan on trying out as we start this new database. Thanks again!
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Leclused » Dec 20, 2013 6:13 am

You can try installing speleobase : http://www.scavalon.be/avalonnl/software/speleobase.htm
You can exchange data via import / export in different formats (including google earth)
I don't know if speleobase can run in a Multi-user set-up on a server. But try it I would say.

The FAQ - page : http://www.scavalon.be/avalonuk/softwar ... se_faq.htm

And the best part : Speleobase is free (made by a caver for cavers).

BR

Dagobert l'Ecluse ( Belgium)
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby rlboyce » Apr 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Dagobert, I looked at Speleobase. It has some nice features, but it looks like you must have images stored on a local hard drive. Can the image links go to online images instead of hard drive links?
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby batrotter » Apr 20, 2015 4:42 am

Maybe you should form a Pennsylvania Cave Survey.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby Leclused » Apr 20, 2015 4:54 am

rlboyce wrote:Dagobert, I looked at Speleobase. It has some nice features, but it looks like you must have images stored on a local hard drive. Can the image links go to online images instead of hard drive links?

I'll check it with the maker of speleobase :-) But in the release notes the following is mentioned

v2.62 16/2/2005
===============
- Cave Detail, Documents links: you can now add a link to an Internet URL!
And when using Windows 2000 or XP, you will automatically see all recently
used Internet links as soon as you type in something in the edit control.

Dagobert
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby rlboyce » Apr 20, 2015 11:36 am

Dagobert, yes, I saw this in the release as well. When I opened the program, it appears that these hyperlinks are separate from the picture links, but maybe I just don't know how to use the software properly. Perhaps I can still find a way to make this work for me. Doing this manually in a spreadsheet is much more of a pain.

Bruce, I think PA already has a survey of sorts called the Pennsylvania Cave Conservancy. They are the ones who collect information on new caves. Maryland, on the other hand, has nothing like this... officially. : )
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Leclused » Apr 20, 2015 1:13 pm

rlboyce wrote:Dagobert, yes, I saw this in the release as well. When I opened the program, it appears that these hyperlinks are separate from the picture links, but maybe I just don't know how to use the software properly. Perhaps I can still find a way to make this work for me. Doing this manually in a spreadsheet is much more of a pain.

Bruce, I think PA already has a survey of sorts called the Pennsylvania Cave Conservancy. They are the ones who collect information on new caves. Maryland, on the other hand, has nothing like this... officially. : )

I've checked with Paul de Bie (the maker of speleobase) and the feature for using URL's in the picture link is not supported (only in the document link). But you can always contact Paul directly with your questions about Speleobase. I'LL pm you his email adress.

Dagobert
Leclused
Prolific Poster

Postby icave » Jun 30, 2015 5:56 pm

Pennsylvania does have a cave database and it has recently gone through an overhaul updating the database structure itself. If you are caving in PA, one of the best way to stay up to date, and keep the database up to date, it to work with the local county stewards. General information on the Pennsylvania Cave Database can be found on the PCC website at:

http://caves.org/conservancy/pcc/Caves_PA.html
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum