Jewel Cave

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Jewel Cave

Postby DirtDoc » Dec 8, 2013 11:07 am

A rather nice article on Jewel Cave today (Sunday 8 Dec 2013) in the Rapid City Journal.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/ ... ee67d.html

If that link does not work, try
http://tinyurl.com/nzbft8c

DirtDoc
DirtDoc
Frequent Poster

Name: Dwight Deal
NSS #: 3592

Re: Jewel Cave

Postby Caveman18 » Dec 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for posting this, Dwight. The article wasn't too bad considering it was written by a non-caver. There were a couple of things that they messed up on, like the length of the cave (it's actually 168.6, not more than 170 miles) and the fact that 2,047 feet is only about 1/3 of a mile (not 3/4). But overall, it wasn't too bad. The good news is, the cave still has plenty of things left to find... in 2013 we mapped 4.8 miles (not including a three trips going in this weekend, and a camp trip coming up at the end of the month). There are a lot of active cavers at Jewel who deserve just as much, if not more credit than we got for our measly little 2,000 foot discovery. Stay tuned for future discoveries and updates.........
Caveman18
Infrequent Poster

Name: Dan Austin
NSS #: 46880
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Re: Jewel Cave

Postby DirtDoc » Dec 14, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks, Dan. I think you called it absolutely right. Details, details ------

I have no problem with 170. That is a good round number. I'm sure you will get there; an incentive to make it true.

Whenever I have stopped by the cave, I remind folks that although the guts and glory may seem to be 'way out there, there are still opportunities to contribute in just a few enjoyable evening hours much closer to home. And that there are some wondrous places that might be found through some obscure hole. It is not all manganese or a harder way to get someplace you have been before.

I'm glad to aid and abet, so keep me posted.

Jewel is so much fun! Up and down and over and under and around and through ----------

Dwight
DirtDoc
Frequent Poster

Name: Dwight Deal
NSS #: 3592

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum