260 Lumen Apex

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

260 Lumen Apex

Postby KWW » Nov 7, 2013 5:50 pm

I noticed today Princeton Tec has came out with the new 260 Lumen Apex. Is it still the same great light as the 200 lumen? Has any other changes to the light been made? And how is the battery life effected by the additional 60 lumens? I'm not sure how long its been out or if there is another thread here addressing the product (I guess I should have looked harder) but I was just curious if anyone out there has had a chance to use the light yet.....Thanks....
KWW
Frequent Poster

Name: Ken Williams
NSS #: 64355
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Suwanee Mountain Grotto

Re: 260 Lumen Apex

Postby KWW » Nov 7, 2013 7:34 pm

It's for sale on the OR1 site but I can't find anything else about it anywhere. Not even on the PT site.
KWW
Frequent Poster

Name: Ken Williams
NSS #: 64355
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Suwanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Mark Ostrander » Nov 8, 2013 10:23 am

I have 3 PT Apexes that I sent back for repairs a month or two back. I will be curious to see whether they come back as the 260 Lumen versions...
Mark Ostrander
Frequent Poster

Postby tncaver » Nov 8, 2013 12:54 pm

From the REI website: I presume this is the same light Chynabear is talking about, although it is listed as having 275 lumens rather than 260 lumens.
$89.95 online only from REI's website.

The biggest and brightest headlamp in the Princeton Tec professional series, the Apex® LED headlamp stands up to harsh weather and throws 275 lumens? up to 116m on high.
Features a high-output Maxbright LED for intense, long-range spot lighting; four Ultrabright 5mm LEDs? combine to provide wide-angle, close-in lighting
Includes four brightness levels and an emergency strobe?; dual switch design allows easy access to all five modes
Headlamp outputs 275 lumens? and throws light up to 116m on high to light up the trail ahead
Power-regulated circuit board ensures consistent lighting levels; Apex provides 1.5 hrs. of regulated light and 90 hrs. of total burn time with the Maxbright LED on high
Switch to the 5mm LEDs? on low and get up to 14 hrs. of regulated output? and 150 hrs. of total burn time
Heat-regulating technology prevents light from getting too hot
Additional strap on top holds light securely in place; rear-mounted battery pack holds 4 AA alkaline batteries (included) and features padding for comfort
Battery power meter lets you know when your batteries are running low
High-grade materials ensure durability and strong resistance to weather and environmental conditions; IPX7? rating ensures protection against water down to 1m for up to 30 min.
Princeton Tec Apex headlamp is compatible with AA alkaline, lithium and rechargeable batteries (sold separately)

Made in USA.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby icave » Nov 14, 2013 11:44 am

I don't see anything on the PT site, and you think they would put any changes to their laps up there first. I just had an Apex RMAed and replaced, and received the standard 200 lumen version. Regarding more light and longer battery times, new LEDs do allow for both with increases in efficiency. Also, the beam width can change slightly, which allows for more throw, even with the same efficiency. I've just reviewed the Fenix HP01, and it's amazing the light and burn time you can get on 2 AAs these days, much more 4. I'm waiting to review a full mass production model (I received an early test model for my first round) before publishing my review. My only issue with the Apex is that it seems to burn through the regulated light time fairly fast. However, you cannot beat Princeton Tec on their support. I've had my Apex replaced twice, without questions as to how I killed it. I would love to see a version with an updated LED.

Mike
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby Mark Ostrander » Nov 21, 2013 10:39 am

I mentioned above that I had sent 3 Apex headlights in for service/replacement. I think that the US Postal Service lost them en route to NJ. I emailed back and forth with the customer service rep about the disposition of my lights last week. I just received a box yesterday that had two brand new Apex'es in it. It's not the three I sent in, but then if they never got them, they're just taking my word for it, as I didn't get any sort of receipt confirmation. I think it's a good compromise. Anyway, the new ones say 275 Lumens on the box, so I'll see this Saturday how it looks in the dark.
Mark Ostrander
Frequent Poster

Postby LukeM » Nov 25, 2013 3:47 pm

The real question is how has the brightness and efficiency of the four 5mm wide beam leds trended as the "Maxbright" spot has climbed to 260/275 lumens? That is just the spot after all. Most of the time you'd presumably be using the flood setting, which I always found to kill batteries too quickly on high. If they've been increasing the brightness on those perhaps the low setting is more usable now.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Mark Ostrander » Jan 2, 2014 10:02 pm

I was able to use one of the new Apexes in Blue Spring Cave recently, in very large passage. The new high beam was great for finding my way in unfamiliar surroundings. It was all the light that I needed. I am very pleased.
Mark Ostrander
Frequent Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Jan 3, 2014 3:32 pm

Mark Ostrander wrote: It was all the light that I needed.

Why would anyone want to settle for what they need?
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Extremeophile » Jan 3, 2014 3:36 pm

And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the Scurion.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Return to Equipment Forum