Torn and mangled NSS NEWS...again!

NSS News, other caving publications, and books.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Received my NSS NEWS today and it has been torn in the worst possible condition that I've ever had in the past. Interesting that it's almost three years to the date when I complained last--back in 2008. The back four pages are torn horribly so; and, of course the spine has been torn all the way to the front cover. Many of my other magazines arrive in a folder/envelope, so I've asked Dave Bunnel about that, but he's got a broken arm--for real--so don't expect a quick response on this. And, I surely don't want to try and read this beautiufl magazine in digital form. I do enough things on the computer, without even thinking of that episode.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Torn and mangled NSS NEWS...again!

Postby Phil Winkler » Oct 13, 2013 12:01 pm

I would complain to the USPO.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 13, 2013 2:08 pm

I have Phil and it goes on deaf ears for the most part. They say it's in the machine that screws magazines up. Ha! Yeah, right! How come my other magazines don't get mangled?
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 14, 2013 9:10 am

I had that problem a few years ago, but recently they started coming in good condition.
I feel your pain.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks Kevin! For awhile, I was having all sorts of problems, although none like this issue. Then, about about three years ago, it straightened out. Now, we're back at it. And, of course, one of the hiccups is the fact that we have a new printer and don't know how the issues go from there. Dave is discussing this with the printer, so...hopefully there aren't a lot of problems like what I had this month. Baddddd! :doh:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 14, 2013 3:46 pm

It would be nice to have them come in a plastic package or envelope, but that would certainly add cost to it.
I would get with your postmaster about it and complain vociferously. Somewhere, someone in the USPS system is not handling them correctly.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby NZcaver » Oct 14, 2013 6:10 pm

I feel your pain too. I went through this 4 or 5 years ago. I narrowed the likely cause down to postal delivery technique. We lived in an apartment with a block of mail boxes that the postal carrier opened from the top. The tall, narrow aluminum pigeon holes had sharp edges at the top, and magazines were hastily rolled and shoved in. Not sure if this has any relevance to your situation, but I thought I would mention it anyway.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks for sharing Jansen, but not the case. We have a regular "barn-like" mail box, like most of the people on our streets. According to the mailman, it was torn before hand, saying that it was the machines. Then, when I go to the Postmaster, the same story, so...no one wants to take responsibility. The Office is going to send me another copy, but I'm hoping that this wasn't the new printer's problem, as that would be a major hiccup for him and Dave. I didn't realize that he had a new printer until we communicated about the problem and then was reading the magazine and noted it, along with all the colored photos.

Guess you head about Terry Clark, 'eh? What a shame!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Oct 15, 2013 8:21 am

I don't think it is a problem with the News. Like I said, I had problems before, but this News came in better shape than ever before. The paper seems sturdier.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby trogman » Oct 15, 2013 9:08 am

Ernie, I sympathize with you regarding the torn NSS News. However, I feel compelled to remind you of this recent quote:

Ernie Coffman wrote:Trogman, You've got some good points, but don't believe CaveChat was set-up to gripe. Believe it was more into sharing ideas, asking questions, sharing information on caving. As for you "reserving the right to gripe," if that's what you feel CaveChat is all about, so be it! :doh:

:grin:

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 15, 2013 11:32 am

Toshay! Or whatever.... :rofl:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm

Over the years I have periodically received torn NSS News Magazines. Sometimes two or three in a row. My October issue arrived in great shape. I also receive other magazines and mail that are sometimes torn. The post office is not perfect. Machines that handle the mail may malfunction. Hopefully the OP's replacement will arrive in good condition.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Oct 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote: Interesting that it's almost three years to the date when I complained last--back in 2008.

I'm not good at math, but I'm pretty sure that 2008 was FIVE years ago. :tonguecheek:
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 21, 2013 5:40 pm

You are so right, Andy. One eye on the computer and one eye on my calendar and I got the two turned around I guess. Baddd!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:
Ernie Coffman wrote: Interesting that it's almost three years to the date when I complained last--back in 2008.

I'm not good at math, but I'm pretty sure that 2008 was FIVE years ago. :tonguecheek:

:rofl:

BTW Ernie, my new shiny all-color NSS News just arrived in PERFECT condition. Not even a dirty fingerprint on it. I can almost feel you sharing my joy right now. :woohoo:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Next

Return to Publications