First Rope

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

First Rope

Postby jtheburbs » Oct 10, 2013 12:44 pm

I looking at buying my first rope for caving. I am an archaeology graduate student and conduct excavation in cave contexts. The caves my project works in sometimes necessitate the use of ropes and in the past we have used a static rope to ascend and descend. However in terms of safety I wonder if it would be better to use a more elastic climbing rope in the event of falls. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
jtheburbs
New Poster

Re: First Rope

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Quick answer: No.

Best answer: Find some cavers in your area that are familiar with vertical caving techniques. They will show you, teach you and let you borrow gear. Cavers form clubs called "Grottos." You can find a list and map of all the grottos. Or tell us where you are, and we'll get you in direct touch with exactly who you need to talk to.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby ian mckenzie » Oct 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Stretchy climbing rope is indeed better to use, if you are downclimbing on belay. If you are rappeling, then nonstretch cave rope is better. I assume the distances involved are relatively short?
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby paul » Oct 11, 2013 6:13 am

To put in another way what the others have said: the type of rope depends on usage. If you are climbing and decending the rope itself (i.e. SRT - Single Rope Technique) then semi-static is the way to go. If you are climbing on rock or whatever and the rope is being used to arrest a fall, then you must use dynamic rope.

As Scott says, getting some instruction also would be a very good idea.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Return to On Rope!