Seeking information about November 1992 Accident

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Seeking information about November 1992 Accident

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Sep 4, 2013 9:17 pm

There was an accident at the Banshee Hole in Cumberland County, Tennessee in November 1992 that resulted in the death of NSS member Ted Rudolph.

There is a brief mention of this accident in the July, 1993 NSS News on page 189, but I am trying to find any other trip reports or incident reports about this. If you know of any, please let me know.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F

Email: nss6792@bellsouth.net
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: Seeking information about November 1992 Accident

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Sep 5, 2013 8:40 am

Hey Larry,

Have you looked in the 1992 American Cave Accidents report? Look at page 366/367. You may also want to chat with Buddy Lane. He may be able to provide some info as he is listed as one of the references.

https://secure.caves.org/nss-business/p ... _ACA92.pdf
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Re: Seeking information about November 1992 Accident

Postby johnlhickman » Sep 7, 2013 9:57 pm

Larry,

I remember the write up in the ACA. From what I remember, a group of out of state cavers was visiting the cave. One of the cavers was using a Gibbs climbing system that I remember being illustrated in a Gibbs brochure. The climbing system had an upper ascender that was part of a chest harness but did not include any attachments to a seat harness. The top of the pit had an overhanging lip that the caver couldn't negotiate. Help was summoned but the caver had been hanging for some time. I don't know his condition when he was raised, but he subsequently died.

That is the jest of what happened. I visited the cave a few years later on our way back from Grassy Cove Saltpeter, the lip was a little tough but not difficult. I think the configuration of the climbing system and perhaps the size of the caver may have been the problem.

Hope this helps. The accident report certainly has more details.

John
johnlhickman
Frequent Poster

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum