Vertical cavers wanted

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Vertical cavers wanted

Postby davidrogersbooks » Aug 14, 2013 10:44 am

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, though I've done a fair amount of caving, but not vertical. I recently bought a few acres near Munfordville, KY, south of the Green River. The land has a cave with a vertical shaft, maybe twenty-five or thirty feet deep, and who knows what past the bottom of the shaft. Water can at times be heard running from the entrance, which is fairly high up on a knob. I have not been down, nor have I found anyone who has, but I'd like to have anyone with equipment and experience in vertical caving come take a look. Anyone interested please respond.
davidrogersbooks
Infrequent Poster

Re: Vertical cavers wanted

Postby GroundquestMSA » Aug 14, 2013 12:16 pm

I know that there are a ton of cavers closer to you than myself, but I am interested in checking it out for you. It's been a while since I was in that area and I would love to make the trip down. Send me a PM if you'd like to talk about it.
-J.K.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Aug 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Contact Clint Barber with the Green River Grotto.

clinton.barber@wku.edu

They are competent vertical cavers and would probably even survey the cave for you...!
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Shane S » Aug 14, 2013 1:28 pm

If you have no luck I know a few vertical cavers like myself that would make the drive if we thought we may be pushing virgin passage. I'm booked the next couple of weekends but if you don't find anyone in the next few weeks I'll make the drive. My daughter wants to visit mammoth anyways. E-mail me at shane_9276@yahoo
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Name: Shane
NSS #: 64742
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clock Tower Grotto

Postby caver.adam » Aug 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Not to shoot myself in the foot (I'd love to see this pit), but you might even be able to ask the KSS if they have already obtained a map of this pit.

Are you looking for a map of the cave or just an understanding of what is there? The Louisville Grotto actually owns property in Upton and it has members in your area every weekend (and sometimes week). If interested, PM me and I can look into whether anyone knows about the pit or is willing to help map it.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Aug 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Shane S wrote:If you have no luck I know a few vertical cavers like myself that would make the drive if we thought we may be pushing virgin passage. I'm booked the next couple of weekends but if you don't find anyone in the next few weeks I'll make the drive. My daughter wants to visit mammoth anyways. E-mail me at shane_9276@yahoo

Virgin cave is still being found right here in TAG and there is plenty more to be found. You just have to go out and look for it. We are still surveying a cave in Alabama where we have found over 6,000 feet of virgin borehole and Clinton Elmore is pushing and surveying a cave in middle Tennessee that is already over 7,000 feet! We've also found multiple other caves and pits (including a multi drop) in both Alabama & Tennessee.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Sep 2, 2013 8:39 pm

I was able to survey this pit this weekend for Mr. Rogers. I appreciate very much his hospitality. A trip report has been posted here.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caver Introductions