Cave pack Recommendation Needed!!

Discuss caving lights, packs, helmets, clothing, etc.
For rope and vertical equipment, go to the On Rope! forum.
Cave electronics enthusiasts can also visit the Communications and Electronics Section forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave pack Recommendation Needed!!

Postby anthrax44 » Feb 18, 2012 9:15 am

Skuteczne pozycjonowanie stron internetowych w wyszukiwarkach.
Ok guys to start of im sorry if i did anything wrong posting this but I have looked and looked for help on this decision and I am stumped.

I have been looking for a cave pack and have narrowed it down to 3 packs so I was just wanting some opinions on witch one I should get. I do plenty of caving in wet muddy caves if that helps.

First pack is the OR1 Heavy Duty Cave Pack $55
http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php? ... &parent=12

Second pack is the Lost Creek Tag Cave Pack $60
http://www.karstsports.com/loscreektagc.html

Third pack is the Lost Creek Monster TAG Cave Pack $62.50
http://www.karstsports.com/loscreekmont.html

This is my first pack and I am tired of borrowing packs when caving with the group so please help me make a good decision.
anthrax44
New Poster

Re: Cave pack Recommendation Needed!!

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 18, 2012 11:39 am

I have both your first options. Love em. The monster is way too big. The or1 pacK is superior IMO but al swaygo is the best for truly wet caves.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby polrbear » Feb 18, 2012 12:14 pm

I have an OnRope1 Heavy Duty and enjoy it. The only problem spot I've found in 2.5 years is that the reflective stripe rubs off easily. Anything structural has been great thus far.

I don't have the two Lost Creek packs, but I do have an old Flint Ridge pack from them that's ~7 years old. For longer day trips, the Flint Ridge is a bit on the small side. Also, I've found the nickel-plated hardware began rusting superficially after about two years of light to moderate use and after five years became difficult to operate. This hardware also lacks the swivels of OnRope1's bag, which means more time is spent adjusting. Lastly, Lost Creek, at least back when I purchased, did not heat seal the cut edges of their bags and suits, so they wore out more quickly from the inside. [My OnRope1 bag is too new to show this as an issue, and it isn't with me right now to check if they were heat sealed.]

The general design and materials used in both products is perfectly good. The OnRope1 bag has a side pouch for your descender; a nicety, but I haven't been able to find practical use for it yet (very few vertical caves up here).
polrbear
Infrequent Poster

Name: Dustin
NSS #: 56096
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Minnesota Speleological Survey

Postby MUD » Feb 18, 2012 12:27 pm

:grin: How about a custom made pack? Made to your specs, it don't get any better than that!
Send me a private message if interested. :waving:

:cavingrocks:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 18, 2012 11:51 pm

Swaygo is a great pack. Comes in 3 sizes. Easy to carry, form fits to the back, easy to take off quickly and drag behind you, and water proof. Like it so much buying another one for my son.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby The Seeker » Aug 9, 2013 10:44 am

BrianFrank wrote:Swaygo is a great pack. Comes in 3 sizes. Easy to carry, form fits to the back, easy to take off quickly and drag behind you, and water proof. Like it so much buying another one for my son.

I am looking at buying either the Swaygo Push or Sink (leaning towards the Sink because you never know when a need for the extra space could arise - even if say you simply wanted to start carrying an extra piece of gear.., etc.) but I was wondering if the bag can be used comfortably with the opening flap facing upwards vs at the bottom. The only reason I ask is because this would double as my bag for hiking, rock climbing, and essentially most outdoor activities. When caving I'd definitely use it with the flap facing down but not sure how safe I'd feel high up on a rock cliff climb wearing it in the same manner.

Would appreciate any Swaygo-owner's thoughts.
The Seeker
Infrequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 9, 2013 11:46 am

Swaygo owner here. The only times I have heard of problems with the opening failing is when the user forgot to close it before putting it on. It's quite embarrassing—I've done it. As far as I know, no Swaygo pack opening has just randomly opened. I have even carried them, with the opening at the bottom, full of water. No bladder or liner. Just full of water. The only thing holding the water in is a couple folds of the closure. We carried water this way thru a cave to a clean-up site. No leaks. Besides, the packs are not very comfortable if you wear them upside-down (opening up).
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Aug 9, 2013 1:36 pm

From a Swaygo owner with no connection to the company other than bumping into Scott occasionally... I doubt you will be disappointed with a Swaygo. And yes, get the Sink for that extra capacity if you need it. I changed the strap attachments on mine to a rated carabiner and pair of stainless screw links. The upside-down pack design is surprisingly ergonomic and comfortable to wear. Be aware if you do use it above ground you will find the black material heats up a lot in direct sunlight.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby The Seeker » Aug 10, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Went ahead and ordered a Sink! I'll likely do the same and switch out the 'biners for some twist lock carabiners/screw links. Good point about the black material heating up in the sunlight, I might use it only for caving and outdoor trips on rainy days after giving it a little bit of thought. What would make these even better IMO is customizing them with a splash of color -- how cool would one of these in camo-orange look!
The Seeker
Infrequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Aug 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Great decision! I love mine and will never go back to fabric packs. They're soooo 20th century. :wink:

You'll be amazed at how comfortable, easy, and efficient the Swaygo is to cave with. I bet you'll find you'll be able to keep your pack on, even if shrugged to one side, when others take theirs off to get through passages. Try hooking the top biner to the bottom of the zipper/Velcro notch in your pants or cave suit to drag the pack behind you through a crawl.

Not having to pack items in waterproof containers before putting them into the pack is a huge plus. It makes packing so much easier and compact.

I replaced the lower biners with small, triangular Maillon Rapide quick links, and the top biner with a locking one.

I've never had the pack opening up on its own, but if the buckle is very muddy, you'll need to be sure that it clicks closed. Some people have replaced the buckle with a non-locking 'biner, but I haven't found the need to.

Report back after a couple of caving trips! :popcorn:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby NZcaver » Aug 11, 2013 5:41 am

Cheryl Jones wrote:Great decision! I love mine and will never go back to fabric packs. They're soooo 20th century. :wink:

Footnote to my previous comment - I've kept my old Lost Creek cordura pack for occasional lava tube caving, because the material seems more resistant to damage than the Swaygo when dragged over sharp Hawaiian lava.

I replaced the lower biners with small, triangular Maillon Rapide quick links, and the top biner with a locking one.

I did exactly the same thing. :clap:

I've never had the pack opening up on its own, but if the buckle is very muddy, you'll need to be sure that it clicks closed. Some people have replaced the buckle with a non-locking 'biner, but I haven't found the need to.

Ditto.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby agosnell » Aug 11, 2013 10:21 am

Due to unusual circumstances I have used over 50 to 70 different packs for caving . Swaygo all the way for my personal use though.
pEAcE
agosnell
Prolific Poster

Name: Alvin Gosnell
NSS #: 48081
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Carl Amundson » Aug 12, 2013 11:33 am

If you are looking for large PVC packs for camp trips, Landjoff make a great pack.
It is very durable and is at a decent price point. I use their 28L and 42L (tall) packs for my project work.
http://wvunderground.net/packs
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Aug 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Hey Carl do the Landjoff packs have drain holes?

Also, did you get your GGG pack back from Mark? I swear I gave it to him!
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Carl Amundson » Aug 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:Hey Carl do the Landjoff packs have drain holes?

Also, did you get your GGG pack back from Mark? I swear I gave it to him!

Yes, the Landjoff packs have drain holes where the straps come out of the pack at the bottom.
and yes I got the pack back and you even cleaned it, thanks.
It was fun caving with you and Bonny.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Next

Return to Equipment Forum