My first virgin cave discovery!

Caves and caving, beginning caving, joining the NSS, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

My first virgin cave discovery!

Postby zachsw » Jun 21, 2013 9:42 am

Finally had someone to go with me to push a lead I found. This is not a known cave and the experienced cavers I was with seemed to be pretty certain that we were the only people to have been there so far. I was reluctant to even get in this because it didn't seem as if it could go at all. However, when we crawled to the back of where I assumed it would dead end there was a hole just big enough for me to fit through. This hole then turned and opened into a 40 x 50 room with several formations and 4 large bear beds. I realize this is a small cave still but I was pretty pumped to find my own cave that actually goes. We surveyed 112.6 feet (again, I know its not much). There is also a side passage we will have to go back and survey. I thought I would share with everyone because I really enjoy reading about new cavers and new cave discoveries however small they may be. I will also try and post some pictures.

zachsw
Occasional Poster

Name: Zach Worrell

Re: My first virgin cave discovery!

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 21, 2013 10:03 am

Very nice! 112' is nothing to sneeze at. This is another example of how, "Only your nose knows if it goes." You gotta put your nose in to find out.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby zachsw » Jun 21, 2013 10:06 am

The only way I found this was chasing an armadillo a couple of years ago...lol. All these little holes I have seen over they years on our property keep me up at night now that I have started caving. Like...right now I should be working but I am just thinking about that side passage and how they'll probably break into borehole while I am at work. I know, ridiculous.
zachsw
Occasional Poster

Postby trogman » Jun 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the photos. I recall my first virgin cave- a 60' pit in GA. I was so disappointed it was so little, but found out later that a new pit that deep in GA was a pretty good find- especially on Pigeon Mt.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jun 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Nice find! Feels good doesn't it?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott Shaw » Jun 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Nice find! If it qualifies in your area, it's a cave. No apologies necessary! May you find more of them!
Scott Shaw
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 30571
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alabama Cave Survey

Postby zachsw » Jun 22, 2013 8:21 am

And......I was exactly right....they called last night and broke into massive borehole that splits into three passageways! All on the lead I saw last time I pushed a water crawl...with just what they saw I think ny previously 1200 foot cave will now be 2500 to 3500 ft...and he said he didn't think.it stopped.....My job is really.getting in.the way at this point.
zachsw
Occasional Poster

Postby trogman » Jun 22, 2013 8:32 am

zachsw wrote:And......I was exactly right....they called last night and broke into massive borehole that splits into three passageways! All on the lead I saw last time I pushed a water crawl...with just what they saw I think ny previously 1200 foot cave will now be 2500 to 3500 ft...and he said he didn't think.it stopped.....My job is really.getting in.the way at this point.

:bananabat: :banana: :banana_yay: Friggin awesome, man!
Make these guys wait for you. It is on your land, isn't it? Most cavers would do that even if it wasn't on your land, just out of courtesy, and because you were the original finder. At least they should, especially if you ask them to.

I am happy for you, and a bit envious as well.

trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby zachsw » Jun 25, 2013 2:58 pm

trogman wrote:
zachsw wrote:And......I was exactly right....they called last night and broke into massive borehole that splits into three passageways! All on the lead I saw last time I pushed a water crawl...with just what they saw I think ny previously 1200 foot cave will now be 2500 to 3500 ft...and he said he didn't think.it stopped.....My job is really.getting in.the way at this point.

:bananabat: :banana: :banana_yay: Friggin awesome, man!
Make these guys wait for you. It is on your land, isn't it? Most cavers would do that even if it wasn't on your land, just out of courtesy, and because you were the original finder. At least they should, especially if you ask them to.

I am happy for you, and a bit envious as well.

Here is what they got into as soon as I left.

zachsw
Occasional Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jun 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Neat! They busted into a nest of red xs and the word image! Or is it my computer?

...There they are, very exciting!
Last edited by GroundquestMSA on Jun 25, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jun 25, 2013 6:11 pm

worked for me. Great photos of an awesome find!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby zachsw » Jun 26, 2013 1:08 pm

I do need to clarify that this borehole they got into is in another cave on the property and not the one I found. Either way.. still awesome.
zachsw
Occasional Poster

Return to Caving General Discussion and Questions Forum