Kentucky "beginners" looking for the right place to start!

Who are you and why do you cave? Start your very own topic and introduce yourself!

Moderator: Moderators

Kentucky "beginners" looking for the right place to start!

Postby eearly » Jun 9, 2013 10:51 pm

Hello all!

My girlfriend and I have been interested in getting into caving as a hobby for a while now. Just recently we gave Mammoth's "Wild Cave Tour" a go and LOVED IT. Being healthy young people, avid hikers, etc. we had no issues with the physical aspect. We're looking for an answer and some direction as to how we go about gaining more experience and knowledge to make this a full-time hobby. I've looked into joining a Grotto, and maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I can't seem to find info on prerequisites for the groups and where to gain valuable caving skills if we don't meet those requirements. We're located near Owensboro, KY and would greatly appreciate any direction we can get! Thanks in advance!

- eearly :)
eearly
Infrequent Poster

Re: Kentucky "beginners" looking for the right place to star

Postby Stridergdm » Jun 10, 2013 5:37 am

eearly wrote:Hello all!

My girlfriend and I have been interested in getting into caving as a hobby for a while now. Just recently we gave Mammoth's "Wild Cave Tour" a go and LOVED IT. Being healthy young people, avid hikers, etc. we had no issues with the physical aspect. We're looking for an answer and some direction as to how we go about gaining more experience and knowledge to make this a full-time hobby. I've looked into joining a Grotto, and maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I can't seem to find info on prerequisites for the groups and where to gain valuable caving skills if we don't meet those requirements. We're located near Owensboro, KY and would greatly appreciate any direction we can get! Thanks in advance!

- eearly :)

Most grottoes tend to require you simply show up and ask questions. I don't know any specifically near you, but I'd be surprised if they were much different.

Cavers tend to be a fairly friendly (if strange ;-) group of folks.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby boogercaver71 » Jun 10, 2013 7:42 am

Closest to you is probably Fort Knox Grotto, but I know several cavers in the Louisville Grotto. They are fairly active.
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby cavedad » Jun 10, 2013 11:49 am

Try this link to a grotto near you.

http://www.nssio.org/find_grotto_overview.cfm

If it doesn't work, go to http://www.caves.org/, click "How to Join or Renew" then click on the "Grottos" hyperlink in the Local Grottos paragraph.

Enjoy! You live in a great part of the country for caving.
cavedad
Occasional Poster

Name: John Meeks
NSS #: 59348
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jun 10, 2013 12:34 pm

They are probably at least an hour from you, but check out the Green River Grotto near Bowling Green, KY. They are a pretty active group and also offer vertical training for those who want it. Sent Clint an email and he can give you more details.

Green River Grotto
1906 CollegeHeights Blvd#31066
Bowling Green, KY, 42101-1066

Meeting Details:
(Please contact to verify)
1st Monday @ 7:00 p.m. Rm. 402 Env. Sci. & Tech WKU Campus

Contact Information:
(270)745-7077
clinton.barber@wku.edu

Here is a link to their facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/163074340413313/.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby eearly » Jun 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Wow, thanks everyone for the great direction. Green River Grotto seems like the best bet for us and we'll definitely be trying to get in touch with someone this week. I'm really thrilled with the amount of willing information from joining this forum. You guys are awesome!
eearly
Infrequent Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jun 11, 2013 3:15 pm

There's also a nice caving event near you very soon. I don't know if you need to be sponsored by an NSS member or what other requirements may exist, but Indiana Cave Capers may be a way to get introduced to some nice nearby caves. You're close to a lot of nice Indiana caving that I've not yet had the chance to experience. Enjoy!
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Jun 14, 2013 7:34 am

eearly wrote:Wow, thanks everyone for the great direction. Green River Grotto seems like the best bet for us and we'll definitely be trying to get in touch with someone this week. I'm really thrilled with the amount of willing information from joining this forum. You guys are awesome!

Of course we're awesome. We're cavers! :-)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby eearly » Jun 17, 2013 6:33 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:There's also a nice caving event near you very soon. I don't know if you need to be sponsored by an NSS member or what other requirements may exist, but Indiana Cave Capers may be a way to get introduced to some nice nearby caves. You're close to a lot of nice Indiana caving that I've not yet had the chance to experience. Enjoy!

I did take notice to this event. We may be looking further into this. Sounds like a great opportunity if we can get in touch with the right folks.
eearly
Infrequent Poster

Postby eearly » Jun 17, 2013 6:36 pm

cavedad wrote:Try this link to a grotto near you.

http://www.nssio.org/find_grotto_overview.cfm

If it doesn't work, go to http://www.caves.org/, click "How to Join or Renew" then click on the "Grottos" hyperlink in the Local Grottos paragraph.

Enjoy! You live in a great part of the country for caving.

Thanks, this helps a ton.

And you're right! We'd be crazy not to take advantage of our locale!
eearly
Infrequent Poster

Postby caver.adam » Jul 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Green River Grotto or the Louisville Grotto will probably be closest to you. They are both pretty active. Currently the Fort Knox Grotto is not active.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby The Seeker » Jul 30, 2013 2:21 pm

Edited
Last edited by The Seeker on Aug 29, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Seeker
Infrequent Poster

Postby davidrogersbooks » Aug 17, 2013 9:38 am

I highly recommend summer classes at the Cave Research Foundation (http://www.cave-research.org/). They're over for this summer, but they have them every year. They're very beginner-friendly, as one of their missions is to educate the next generation of cavers. I have taken several of the classes, and you'll get to see caves that the public generally has no access to like Salts Cave and Crystal Cave. Instructors like Roger Brucker, Stan Sides, and Art Palmer are goldmines of information and cave lore. In the meantime, you can email them and see if they have anything going on that you're interested in. They may be doing something that doesn't require experience. Good luck!
DR
davidrogersbooks
Infrequent Poster

Postby caver.adam » Aug 21, 2013 3:04 pm

The Louisville Grotto is having a beginners meeting on September 25th at 7pm. Address is LVL 1 Hackerspace, 814 e broadway, louisville, Ky. The alley between Shelby and Logan. Park in the ORI lot off of Shelby Street.
https://www.facebook.com/events/494881543929833/

Our normal meetings are the First Wednesday of every month at the Bonaire Library in Louisville.
http://louisville.caves.org/meetings.shtml
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Return to Caver Introductions