Looking for Your Answer to this Question

Share ideas and experiences, seek advice for leading youth groups underground. Also visit Youth Group Caving.

Moderators: amaddox, Moderators

Looking for Your Answer to this Question

Postby amaddox » May 23, 2013 9:56 am

What are the advantages for a Grotto to have an active Youth Group Liaison program?
Allen Maddox
NSS Youth Group Liaison Committee, Chair

http://www.youcave.org/
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Re: Looking for Your Answer to this Question

Postby baa43003 » Jun 3, 2013 3:33 pm

Because the youth are the future of the NSS! (And you can stick them in the holes that are too small for you :woohoo: )

But seriously, if you read through American Caving Accidents, the majority of accidents are by young, inexperienced persons. If you live in an area where caves are easily accessed by young people, providing education and responsible mentors (not only for the youth but for the youth group leaders) may just save someone's life.
Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Postby amaddox » Jun 3, 2013 6:05 pm

baa43003 wrote:Because the youth are the future of the NSS! (And you can stick them in the holes that are too small for you :woohoo: )

But seriously, if you read through American Caving Accidents, the majority of accidents are by young, inexperienced persons. If you live in an area where caves are easily accessed by young people, providing education and responsible mentors (not only for the youth but for the youth group leaders) may just save someone's life.

Good point....
Allen Maddox
NSS Youth Group Liaison Committee, Chair

http://www.youcave.org/
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ohiocaver » Jul 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Look at how the average age of an NSS member has steadily risen by one year just about every year for the last decade or more. Today, it hovers around 50. Our big challenge is to get younger people involved -- not just on a one-time trip so they can check off another "adventure sport" on their list. But long-term for exploration, research, and to drive me home late at night when I'm totally exhausted from trailing in their footsteps. I think the real question is HOW, not WHY to do this.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby amaddox » Jul 24, 2013 7:22 am

I agree. "How DO We Get Them to Join" is a critical question to the Society's sustainability. Perhaps you can start a new discussion. Do you have any suggestions???
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 24, 2013 10:26 am

In the last BOG Minutes there are numerous suggestions of methods of attracting and keeping new members. I think it is in the President's report. Let me see if I can find it. Page 22 https://secure.caves.org/nss-business/for_members.shtml
of the March BOG Minutes.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Return to Youth Groups Forum